Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crispy

dinput

i''m trying to write a reasonable input routine for a game of mine that allows the user to select between directinput and standard windows key handling (thus allowing people who don ''t have dx8 play the game). the problem arises when i want to write a special routine for key bindings - there are several if not to say many different keyboards in the world and dinput is only optimised for the american keyboard. what i need to do is a conversion of either the DIK_* constants to the same numeric values as on a standard European/Scandinavian keyboard (because that''s what i''m using (kind of)) or write a ten-page conversion routine that binds every key specifically. i''m trying to avoid the latter though, so my question is: can i change the dinput key codes without causing the api to misread input from the keyboard or is there a certain function/routine in the dx8 sdk that allows me to select the keyboard layout? this question may be quite trivial, but i''m just a beginner in dx and some help/explanation would be well appreciated. thanks crispy