Graphics for Tile based

Started by
3 comments, last by Doolwind 22 years, 1 month ago
G''day, I am wanting to make a simple tile based game (similar to Civilization 2/3). What is the best way to go about this? I know a bit of OpenGL and i am currently teaching myself directx. What else can i use, as these seem best for just 3D games, which i don''t plan THIS game to be. Are there any good tutorials, so far it seems as though i can either use a 3D API (such as directx) or at the other extreme i have to move pixel by pixel and do masks and stuff...surely there is a middle ground. Does anyone know? Thanks Doolwind
Advertisement
Use Direct Draw. Although it is not officially documented in DX8 it is still supported for backwards compatability.

The DirectX7 documentation covers Direct Draw. I did download it from someone on these forums. Can anyone point our friend here to that one?
The DirectX 7 SDK is still available on the Microsoft MSDN sight under DirectX/DirectX SDK Archives

Go to this URL:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/topic.asp?url=/msdn-files/028/000/114/topic.xml

It''s a pig, though, at 131Mb.
Thanks guys,

Is there any way i can get access to the documentation without downloading the full SDK??? Are there any other api''s i can use or is that the best bet? What do people use now that DX8.1 is out for their 2D games?? or is microsoft giving us the hint that 2D is gone?

Thanks for your help though, i''ll look into direct draw and see if i can add that to my new found directx skills (or lack there of).

Doolwind

Me thinks you should use OpenGL for your tilebased game.

Look up "quads", and you''ll understand.

And definately check out Nehe''s Site

OT: You call Civilization a "simple" game ?

Llyod
Visit the forum for indie adventure devr''s and gamers!
The best you can is good enough

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement