Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diana Gruber say Quaternion are bad!?

This topic is 5776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have read an article about Quaternion in this site by Diana Gruber.She said Quaternion are needn''t in game programming...... This is some word in her article: -> Question: Quaternion operations are faster because they can be done using fewer operations. Answer: Disregarding my informal proof that the minimum operation count will be exactly the same, don''t forget to consider the operation count in converting quaternions to a matrix format in order to make them compatible with DirectX or OpenGL, or to add translation information, for example. <- Is this exactly or unilateral? Especially the words "don''t forget to consider the operation count in converting quaternions to a matrix format in order to make them compatible with DirectX or OpenGL, or to add translation information." goddess just one...

I remember a while back when everyone debated the points of this article - even Diana G. got envolved.. You should have a read of this here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=25314
Be warned, its huge, but quite a few things were covered.

I think quaternions are useful if you have to send lots of orientations over a network, or if you have a model with a lot of bones in it. Its a space saving thing, rather than a calculation saving thing.

T