Diana Gruber say Quaternion are bad!?

Started by
0 comments, last by initial_y 22 years, 2 months ago
I have read an article about Quaternion in this site by Diana Gruber.She said Quaternion are needn''t in game programming...... This is some word in her article: -> Question: Quaternion operations are faster because they can be done using fewer operations. Answer: Disregarding my informal proof that the minimum operation count will be exactly the same, don''t forget to consider the operation count in converting quaternions to a matrix format in order to make them compatible with DirectX or OpenGL, or to add translation information, for example. <- Is this exactly or unilateral? Especially the words "don''t forget to consider the operation count in converting quaternions to a matrix format in order to make them compatible with DirectX or OpenGL, or to add translation information." goddess just one...
汇编语言不会编
Advertisement
I remember a while back when everyone debated the points of this article - even Diana G. got envolved.. You should have a read of this here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=25314
Be warned, its huge, but quite a few things were covered.

I think quaternions are useful if you have to send lots of orientations over a network, or if you have a model with a lot of bones in it. Its a space saving thing, rather than a calculation saving thing.

T

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement