Dplay problem :(

Started by
22 comments, last by Herr_O 22 years, 1 month ago
It shouldn''t take more than an afternoon to abstract the DPlay interface into your own class / interface, and it shouldn''t take more than a couple hours to migrate to a new version of DirectPlay. Granted, you might have to do a little reading to see exactly how some things have changed, but if DPlay 7 worked in a previous game, and DPlay 8 doesn''t add much functionality that you need, then why change?
Advertisement
DP7 is hard limitted to 64 connections
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Okay this is getting way OT (but I''m trying to get it back on track), but here''s another viewpoint.

For those who just hate MS for whatever reason, and only stick to OGL, etc....just remember that it''s a razor thin line between stability and stagnant.

I''m no MS mark, but from a pov I can appreciate that they try to push the latest technologies with every rev. If that means rewriting the interface, then so be it. So it pisses off a few
of us developers. I for one am MUCH happier with the rewrite of DP8 over the klodgy DP7/4...MS realized it wasn''t working so they scrapped it...a gold star for them.

But my point only proves that you can argue for whatever side you want. I used to CONSTANTLY worry that I was using the "wrong" API, *just* because everybody was doing something different...(does this sound like "religion" to anyone else but me?? *grin*)

It took me a long time to realize that constant indecision can lead to projects never being completed..

If you want to use DP7, then use it. It sounds like you''re already at a decent point in the game to keep going with it. Don''t scrap half the design just because you want to switch to Winsock/DP8 (unless of course there''s *just* no other way)..

If you love Winsock, great!
If you love DP7, great!
If you love DP8, great!

Enough ranting, back to my project..
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
Exactly. And that''s the way it is
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement