Not sure...

Started by
4 comments, last by Eight 22 years, 2 months ago
I know this has absolutely nothing to do with Game development but Gamedev.net has some of the best programmers I''ve seen so I thought I''d ask anyway. :D Does anyone know if it''s possible to write a driver (virtual device driver?) which creates a device accessible like a harddisk but which does data processing (encryption etc.) before writing it to the HDD? Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Cheers, Eight
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Eight
I know this has absolutely nothing to do with Game development but Gamedev.net has some of the best programmers I''ve seen so I thought I''d ask anyway. :D

stop ass kissing, that''s my job!
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Yes, it''s possible. I recommend first downloading the M$ DDK (driver development kit) and some generic source code (demos) to a similar thing that you want to do. From there, you simply add your functions for encrypting/accessing what you need, and you''re done (yeah, I wish it was as simple as it sounds).

Billy - BillyB@mrsnj.com
www.sysinternals.com

IIRC they have an example of an NTFS driver for Win98 - it wouldn''t be such a big leap to getting encryption in the files. Depends what level you need this to be secure at, and whether things like the user protections built into Win2k etc would be good enough instead.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Take a look at ScramDisk - it does what you're asking (and a whole lot more). Full source-code is available from that site.

Iain Hutchison
Programmer, Silicon Dreams
The views expressed here are my own, not those of my employer.

Edited by - pieman on February 19, 2002 3:07:05 PM

Edited by - pieman on February 19, 2002 3:07:20 PM
Iain HutchisonProgrammer, Silicon DreamsThe views expressed here are my own, not those of my employer.
Thanks guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement