3d engines programmed in VB

Started by
8 comments, last by killadude 22 years, 1 month ago
can someone tell me of a great"free" 3d engine programmed in vb, its for learning purposes. SKATEBOARDING IS NOT A CRIME!
SKATEBOARDING IS NOT A CRIME!
Advertisement
oh yea, im looking for something similar to crystal space.

www.revolution3d.net

Best i know!

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

Democracy is where you say what you want and do what you''re told.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
This one is better than revolution3d. I have used them both and this is the better of the two.

TrueVision 3D

http://www.truevision3dsdk.com

enjoy, there is alot of help.

Dylan, Let''s show the world something
quote:Original post by VisualB4BigD
This one is better than revolution3d. I have used them both and this is the better of the two.

More personal opinion than actual fact. I prefer R3D to TV3D.

MS is using R3D to show off VB.NET, so in your faces TV3D users.

The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Both engines are good, but documentation in my opinion is better for TV3D than for R3D. Microsoft may be using R3D and R3D is a good engine but I prefer TV3D

Dylan, Let''s show the world something
Each to his own...

Im not about to start a R3D vs TV3D war...theres been several already.(TV3D users fault, no offense)

Ok just to let you decide which one is better, here is two pages that show the features for both. TV3D supports alot more file formats and adds features like AI pathfinding, better terrain functions, transitions, and game file packages (PAK files). Go ahead and check it out

Revolution 3D Engine Specs:
http://www.revolution3d.de/r3dhp/dSheets/features.html

TrueVision 3D Engine Specs:
http://www.truevision3dsdk.com/features/

There ya go

-Dylan (VB game developer)

Edited by - VisualB4BigD on February 20, 2002 5:05:36 PM
I wont even bother to go through my full lst of reasons that I chose R3D over TV3D, but here''s the gist of it:

TV3D is somewhat non-uniform. I have used it quite a lot, and i sometimes get the feeling that all the devs are not quit on the same page. R3D only has one programmer, so it is very uniform in structure.

Second, I like R3D''s interface better. Just my personal prefs.

Lastly, I have found that
1)A lot of the stuff that TV3D codes is not very generic and that I can write my own quite easily.
2) R3D code is generally far more sound because of a close community which works together to pound bugs with a sledgehammer.

But if you like TV3D, i dont care. Many ppl like TV3D, many like R3D. We''re about to get decent network support at least(needed it badly), plus the MDL and MD2/MD3 systems are finally being rewritten properly.

Since you''ve answered the orignal question (though not exhaustively) and have both made your cases in favor of the various APIs/SDKs, I guess we can consider the issue closed.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement