GameInstitute

Started by
4 comments, last by dklon 22 years ago
Hello, I was just posting up here to get a gauge for GameInstitute. I''ve just completed the Introduction to C/C++ Programming and I''m seriously considering taking other classes.
Game Mathematics seems to be my next logical choice. Anyways, I was curious if anyone else in here had anything to say about GameInstitute.
BTW, I am going through the course material for the C/C++ class and proof-editing it. Stan Trujillo was kind enough to listen to my suggestions about everything.
Advertisement
I looked at the Game Institute after you sugesting it. It doesnt look too bad, although being a student, the courses are very expensive especially considering you can buy books on the subject for much cheaper and find help for questions free on a number of websites.
Don't tell me my computers slow, all computers run at the same speed... with the power off.
Yes, some of the classes do seem a bit steep for students, but I think it is worth it for several reasons.

One thing about it though that struck me as good is the student/teach community within it. True, the prof isn''t there realtime, but all of the chat sessions (on IRC) are logged and available for download.

There are also chat sessions for just students of the class several days a week which provide something a little more cohesive for learning that hunting for someone else who has knowledge on a particular topic.

Hmmm, I smell an article in all of this.
quote:Original post by dklon
Hmmm, I smell an article in all of this.

How bout an interview?

Sorry to dredge this back up, but if anyone has any questions or problems they can email me.

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media (coming April/May 2002)
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

IMHO some classes were good while other were mmm how should I say "lacking" in teacher and in content ^_^. The DirectX class come to mind. OpenGL on the other hand was wonderfuly well done and the teacher was very helpful. Thanks Alex!
Dark Rain are you kidding? ?

I had to email someone in administration in order to get a response from Alex at all. I told them I had been waiting 3 months for a reply and his defence he claimed the oldest email he had from me was a little over 2 months. 2 months for a simple development problem? I was then asked to cc any further correspondence to administration simply to ensure that my queries were answered at all. This is no way to treat a paying customer.

On the flipside to this, I''ve also done the Direct3D and BSP/PVS/CSG course and found them to be nothing short of excellent. The instructors were always eager to help out and answer any queries I posed in short time.

Luckily I completed the OpenGL course last, not first, or I would have missed out on the excellent courses I have already mentioned. I will continue to do GI courses, but only those lead by someone other than Alex.

eb.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement