Delphi and C++

Started by
4 comments, last by ank2 22 years, 1 month ago
Is delphi a good tool for creating games? I know its great for creating other applications. Is it possible to use both delphi and C++ in a single game (maybe using DLLs). I''m asking this because I find Delphi extreamly useful in development and would like to continue using it for games.
Group Who
Advertisement
Yes and no. Yes Delphi is good for games, but... the DirectX headers are released in C/C++ format so you'll need a header conversion, goto turbo.gamedev.net and check out something like DelphiX. If you're going to use OpenGL there's no problem, its included.

Edited by - Michalson on February 19, 2002 1:35:51 PM
You can use DLLs just fine with Delphi. Also, check out the Delphi JEDI project, which contains a heap of header conversions for just about everything under the sun.

Alimonster

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.
The files on Delphi-Jedi are just header conversions, not wrapper VCL components (which is what DelphiX is). Also, the latest version of DelphiX does not (apparently) have english help files, only japanese. If you want to avoid the VCL (for speed/size/control reasons)then you might want to use the Jedi conversions.

Also, about OpenGL, although it is included, you should probably get a more up to date conversion from somewhere.

If you have C++ Builder, then you should be able to link that in with Delphi fairly easily, but if you're using VC++, then you'll probably have to go with DLLs.

John B

Edited by - JohnBSmall on February 19, 2002 2:17:10 PM
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
quote:Original post by JohnBSmall
Also, the latest version of DelphiX does not (apparently) have english help files, only japanese.

The help files are in English, but are written by the guy who made DelphiX who is Japanese. You can read them, but they''re hardly sentences.
Does anyone know of a game written in delphi.
Group Who

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement