Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Developing a game for Mobile phone using SMS

This topic is 5778 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I need help, i wanted to make a multi-user game for mobile phones which would be played using SMS (Short message services) If anyone has any experience with this pls let me know how it would be done. Thanks AB

I haven''t written a game as such, but I am lead developer for a SMS based network management system which we custom wrote for a client. This information may only be appropriate for the Australian/New Zealand mobile phone networks (no experience with others).

Two options I can see :

1. Use WAP for the entire project - not SMS, but very functional for mobile interaction. Probably not a solution for you, for obvious reasons.

2. Email the information to the user via an SMS gateway (we use messagenet.com.au), users SMS back a mobile # which is hooked into a unix system. A daemon processes the SMS text and does something with it. The big problem with this is that someone has to pay the cost for the SMS gateway.

I could be wrong, but I can''t see how you can implement option 2 without major expense, and option 1 is limited to WAP phone users.

I''d like to see how others might handle this situation.

Regards,

Stuart.