Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

keltan

New to game development

Greetings to all. A couple of friends and me are hardcore gamers and curiousity has lured us into wanting to develop a game in C(only language we know). As this will be our first game, we decided to make it simple. We decided to create a 2-D flight game ala X-Wings. However as we are new to the game developing scene, there are many problems we are facing now. We hope that there will be someone who will be willing to help us out. Among the problems we are facing now are: 1) How to integrate the backend code with the graphics? (At this point of time, we roughtly know the different functions we have to write, but have totally no idea how to integrate our code with the graphics) 2) How to detect when a plane has been shot for fire, and thus decrease the health of the plane accordingly? Is there any kind soul that can help us out with this? We will be very grateful. Many thanks in adcance.

Well that is a bit more information than can be realisticly put in a post and will be dependant on the rest of your code. Try here to get some basic answers out of the way and if that don't answer your questions or at least lead you down the proper path try posting a single how do I question with more detail.

Start Here

Welcome to the dark side

GRELLIN
Don't sit and complain about a program, make a better one or shut up!

Edited by - grellin on February 19, 2002 2:02:08 PM

quote:
Original post by keltan
1) How to integrate the backend code with the graphics? (At this point of time, we roughtly know the different functions we have to write, but have totally no idea how to integrate our code with the graphics)

I''m pretty sure that what you mean is that you would like to add graphics to your application. If this is the case, you need to learn to use a graphics API. I would suggest you learn Simple DirectMedia Layer for this. SDL handles sound, input, and 2D graphics, and is very simple to use.

Check my profile signature for links to additional information. Go to the GameDev.net articles when you are ready to start with it.(If you have any questions about SDL, if you decide to use it, post them in the Cone3D forum).

quote:

2) How to detect when a plane has been shot for fire, and thus decrease the health of the plane accordingly?

This can''t be simply put into words (well, it would be long) but it''s called "Collision Detection and Response." Basically, you use a function to detect whether two objects have collided, and then you have a response like:

if(collided == true)
{
enemyHealth = (enemHealth - Damage)
}

You should read some of the articles under "Articles and Resources" at the top of this site. Good luck!

------------------------------
Simple DirectMedia Layer:

Main Site - (www.libsdl.org)
Cone3D Tutorials- (cone3D.gamedev.net)
GameDev.net''s Tutorials - (Here)

OpenGL:

Main Site - (www.opengl.org)
NeHe Tutorials - (nehe.gamedev.net)
Online Books - (Red Book) (Blue Book)