Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Real small

This topic is 5777 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, does anyone know of an extreamly small (it should fit on a couple of floppy) distrobution of linux. I''d say I was good at computers but a completely new to linux, so it has to be easy. From what I''ve heard and seen linux seems like a very powerful OS. Thanks in advance.

All Linux distributions are very small at heart; the differences in size arise from all the extras (desktop environments are major culrpits) and applications that are typically installed. If you run any self-respecting Linux distro installation, there''s an Expert mode that generally allows you to configure and install exactly what you want - even if the installer thinks it''s a bad idea.

You might also want to look into Linux From Scratch if you''re interested in building extra-small distros. If you just want to try Linux out, though, don''t attempt this option. It requires a fair amount of technical knowledge.

For the record, I''ve read of a complete Linux kernel and web server (httpd) being installed on a Texas Instruments TI-83 calculator. Total size: <500K.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!