Persistent worlds...

Started by
2 comments, last by Octarinne 22 years, 2 months ago
Hello, I''m thinking about creating a simple multi-player space game with a persistent universe. But I''m stuck with this question: The players being ship pilots, what happens to the ship when the player leaves? Should it dissapear, should it enter a worm-hole, or what? What would be the best solution? Thanks.
Advertisement
You should probably have some sort of "spaceports" where players can safely leave their ships.
If the player quits while flying in space the ship could stay in the world for some time and then fade away. That way you can be sure that players won´t quit when they are losing a fight to save their ship (assuming you´re including combat in your game).
You could also have upgrades that make quitting easier&safer: autopilot, autodefense-system, faster way to get to a spaceport etc.
if the world is advanced enough to build spaceports and crap, just make the ship fold into its own pivate universe and keep the portal activation device in your pocket.

then you can open the portal indoors and crush people
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Here is another topic, very similar to this.

------------------------------
Simple DirectMedia Layer:

Main Site - (www.libsdl.org)
Cone3D Tutorials- (cone3D.gamedev.net)
GameDev.net''s Tutorials - (Here)

OpenGL:

Main Site - (www.opengl.org)
NeHe Tutorials - (nehe.gamedev.net)
Online Books - (Red Book) (Blue Book)
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement