Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Level files

This topic is 5776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am designing a space game as most of you know. I am nearly finished with the core of the game. What I am working on now is level files. This is the syntax I have so far for some of the easier functions:

LEV:  1 -1 -1
ENEM: 0 10 11

-1s mean no data, n/a
so this means, start level 1 filling.
then, it will load up the array 0 enemy, and his x,y are 10,11
here is the code that does this (actually this is a test program, so its not in my game yet) :

while(!feof(fp)) {
fscanf(fp,"%s %d %d %d",arg1,&arg2, &arg3, &arg4);
		if(strcmp(arg1, "LEV:")==0) {

}
		if(strcmp(arg1,"ENEM:")==0) {
			lev1.enemx[arg2]=arg3;
			lev1.enemy[arg2]=arg4;
			lev1.levnum=arg2;

}
}

this is pretty simple. but, there are a few things I'm not sure of what to do. #1) Loading filenames, would I want to make a -1 kinda thing at the end of every line that has nothing to do with filenames? #2) I'm going to add in something called zapping. this isn't complex. It just says, after lets say, 10 kills, 2 more enemies "zap in." the syntax I was thinking for this would be:

KILLS: 5 -1 -1
ZAP: index x y

of course, the index, x, and y would be filled with real data. But what would my struct look like? how would I set up the set up the struct to do this? *edit*Spelling on source Edited by - Muzlack on February 19, 2002 5:49:08 PM Edited by - Muzlack on February 19, 2002 5:50:10 PM

Hmm.. Since I''m not getting any feedback here, I''m gonna guess that its because I''m not clear enough. Ok, All I want in my level file is the levels. They will all be organized like this:
LEV 1
END LEV
LEV 2
END LEV
In these levels, I would say which enemies start on the screen, and their type. For instance:
LEV 1
ENEM ALIEN1, 300(x),300(y)
END LEV
and that would be a really simple level. Now, after that, I want to add something called "zapping" after a certain amount of kills had been achieved. Kind of like a hyperspace thing in most games & movies, but I wanna call it zapping in my game. So, I was thinking the level file would look like this now:
LEV 1
ENEM ALIEN1, 300,300
ENEM ALIEN1, 200, 400
KILLS: 2
ZAP ALIEN2, 300,200
END LEV

So this would result in 2 enemies of alien1 type on the screen at the start. then, after you kill them both, an enemy of alien2 type "zaps" in. Now, here''s the question: How would I design my structs to support this kind of if statement with the kills? I was thinking I could have a condtion integer array with a max of 10 "zaps" per level. Anyways, I just would like some input on how other games do this.
Thanks!

I would write a line by line text parser. Try ''google'' look up ''C Text Files'' and wade through. I used a five char tage at the start of each line followed by any data.

ie.

Level 1
Block 2, 3, 4
Block 2, 5, 4
Shape 4, 5, 6

etc

I looked for the tag then read in the data into the appropriate structs/arrays.
I also loaded the whole file into a string (buffer) and separated lines by looking for a carrage return followed by a newline marker.
Esc(13) and Esc(10) i think.

,Jay