Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game Development Schools

This topic is 5776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, For the past month I''ve been trying to select some courses for my career (game development). I''ve selected 2, the first is a Certificate III In Info Tech (Software Apps) and then once thats completed I intented on moving to the Diploma of Info Tech (Software Development). Initially I only wanted to do the Diploma, but as the school said I had to do Cert 3 first so I have. Now that I''ve started the Cert 3, I asked a few teachers about the Diploma and they told me that they were taking the C++ subjects out of it. So it would consist mainly of Java. I personally am a C++ person, and now wondering whether this course will even be worth it. Now I know the course is more about everything else like structure of programs and designing rather than the actual language. Which I can accept if need be. But this type of course seems too far out of range for a Career in Game Development. Now I know I can''t just get a game development job instantaniously after I finish my course cause it basically has no direct game development elements. I''ve been searching and searching for these schools or courses I''ve heard about for game development. This is something I think will greatly benefit me. In the way that the previous course I was planning to do, I would myself have to learn C++ (as I''m already doing) and also Opengl, Directx (whichever I decide, (my opinion btw )) Now I guess its fairly obvious I should choose a Game development course (Diploma) over a Software Dev one. But the problem I''m addressing to you is does anyone know about this course and where it exists? I''ve looked on Gamedev and gone to those links inside Australia, but most are out of my State and maybe just a bit too far to commute everyday.. (10 hour drives lol). I''ve heard rumors that there was a school in Sydney offering it that may have moved down to Melbourne? If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. If no-one knows of such courses existing in Melbourne, Australia than any advice on Courses etc will also be of great value. Thanks Just as a conclusion: I think that its fairly pointless or at least very non-benefitial if I do a course when I still have to learn C++, and Graphics API''s myself. It kind of defeats the purpose if you understand what I mean. Anyway thankyou for your time. - ]Reaper[