Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GekkoCube

data structure for a massiv 3d simulation program?

The idea is this: A really big 3d city (lets say Los Angeles) represented in 3D, with high quality texture mapping and high quality/high poly models. The result will be very very photo-realistic, with probably a few cars (not too many), exact model replicas of all buildings, bridges...etc, ...all running at about 15-25fps! First of all, the system running this would be close to a super-computer. What data structure would be best suited to handle not only the landscape, but buildings as well. Im thinking a quadtree. Any form of input is appreciated. ~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~

Guest Anonymous Poster
You don''t need to fix your data structure, I think I would have a quadtree for the buildings and landscape features. Then the buildings would have octrees, and maybe contain bsp people. The thing is, if you build a nice interface, your actual implementation won''t matter

Just one or two quick thoughts:

You will definatly need a system that supports LOD.
The ground terrain for a city is relatively flat,
so you should not have to worry about ROAM so much.
For inside of buildings, you might want to use a portal
system. If the buildings have many windows, have one
big portal with the frames drawn over it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Check out the websites of any of the dev teams doing city-based driving sims - eg Gotham Project and GTA. They''re pretty much using the technology you need. If it''s a project that you re still unsure of in terms of development costs, etc. It might be worth your while seeing if one of these companies would be interested in licencing their technology to you.

Just a thought.