Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quadtree vs bsp

This topic is 5774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a running landscape engine running represented by a quadtee. So far, it is a beautiful terrain! i was wondering if a BSP tree is better. And what is the difference between the BSP and quadtree (theoretically and realistically)? thanks. ~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~

BSP is better for indoor closed environments. It is not as dynamic as a quad or octree. Do a search on google for both to find examples.

BSP trees are just a more general form of quadtrees. BSP trees can do anything quadtrees can do, in fact it is simple to create a quadtree with a BSP tree.

Mike

"The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else." - Frederick Bastiat, The Law

BSP trees partition space by arbitrary planes. Quadtrees partition space by planes in a simple, recursive manner. To implement a quadtree with a BSP tree, all you have to do is choose the BSP planes in the same way a quadtree would. You''ll get a tree of twice the depth, but you should have the same number of nodes/leaves.

The advantage of quadtrees is that it makes more sense to make simplifying assumptions. It may be more simple to implement.

Mike

"The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else." - Frederick Bastiat, The Law