Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just_curious

game characters

I''m just wondering : When designing characters, do artists have to draw each part of a character seperately so that the programmer can , say, move arms and legs, or how is this done and what should I be looking at to get more information on this branch????

Guest Anonymous Poster
look for skeletal animation and stuff like that

Skeletal animation gives smoother animation, but keyframes are faster and are also used. In Q3A, each character has 3 parts, the head, upper(torso), and lower(legs). Each part would have its own keyframes. For example, the upper would have the shooting keyframes for the arms. The lower would keyframes have jumping, running, and walking. The head would probably have keyframes for looking around because matrix transformations are slow.
If you divide your character into more and more pieces you could probably get more accurate bounding boxes/spheres/elipsoids.

Proceeding on a brutal rampage is the obvious choice.

When programming 2D, sprites are easier (but take up more space, not very much - harder though because you have to render ALL these frames...)

"I''ve learned something today: It doesn''t matter if you''re white, or if you''re black...the only color that REALLY matters is green"
-Peter Griffin

i am using a layers type thing for the 2D sprites in my RPG... there are a few basic "person" sprites (a guy/girl in all possible positions for the game like walking and attacking), and a bunch of overlay sprites for clothes/armor and hair and stuff... so a male human fighter would have (one on top of the other):
male human sprite + heavy armor sprite + brown hair sprite + helmet sprite + sword sprite
and a female elven mage would have:
female elf sprite + light hair sprite + robe sprite + staff sprite
i''m not done yet so i don''t know about performance (i might build the final sprites when each character is loaded, and use that)... but this will give me many more options as far as variety in characters with fewer actual sprites drawn (if i have 6 character body sprites, and 6 different colored-shirt sprites, i have 36 unique combinations already). that is a lot better than having to draw 36 sprites (and imagine if every one of them could hold three different weapons, et cetera)...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

quote:
(i might build the final sprites when each character is loaded, and use that)...

Reading that, I think he allready came up with that idea himself ^_^