Need help selecting unit types for a game.

Started by
10 comments, last by shaft 22 years, 1 month ago
Ok, My group and I are working on a game, and we''ve found some problems with our game idea. Mainly map size. Anyways, our game DID have 3 units - The mech (appeals to kill''em all players), the bioengineered soldier (appeals to the sniper in all of us), and the aircraft (for fast and furious fun). Now the problem is map scale. A really interesting location for a soldier, is just a blip on a radar screen for an aircraft. So we''ve decided to scrap the aircraft. So now we are looking for another 3rd unit to fill out the game. Any ideas?
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
Advertisement
Not sure what functions you have the mech and bioengeneered soldier but maybe a unit that is more focused on defense? Assuming you have bases.

GRELLIN
Don''t sit and complain about a program, make a better one or shut up!
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
Well the mech is burly and slow. It can carry massive armor, and massive weapons.

The bio soldier is light weight armor, much faster than the mech, carries far less weapons, but the weapons are more sophisticated. More likely to get critical hits - head shot, take out a weapon, etc.

The aircraft was faster than the soldier, and less armor than the mech.

So since we are getting rid of the aircraft due to it''s speed (or map size too small depending on how you look at it), so I suspect the new unit should have a speed between the slow mech, and the faster soldier.

But the new unit will need a "hook" to make it cool to players.
The mech is fun because you are a walking tank. Destroy everything. The soldier is fun because you can snipe out a bigger player, or use some pretty sophisticated weaponry.

The aircraft had blazing speed as it''s hook. So we need a new unit with a good hook that will fit our game.
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
How about something like a helicopter gunship? Still faster than the others, relativly light armor, weaponry somewhere between soldier and mech but with longer range.
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
How about a mine laying unit with other weapons. Or something like the Tesla tanks in Red Alert.
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7
Make something akin to the ORCA from Command & Conquer.

Smaller, with one or two medium power weapons - can''t blast through armour, but will not have trouble dispatching some infantry with a chaingun type weapon).
Not necessarily capable of very high speeds, but has tremendous maneuverability (in three dimensions). Take a pop at the old game called Lander (Psygnosis), you should be able to get yourself a demo. Well take the Lander, and spiff it up a little, and you''re there.

Think Descent or G-Police, the small size is very important, a large aircraft may be able to carry lots of cool guns, but it is no more maneuverable on a dime than a tank. Think small and perfected for its size.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
It may take more work to set up, but why don''t you create a unit creation engineering book? What I mean by this is that you create a set of rules on how to create units, so that there is no arbitrary unit creation, and unit design is instead based on rules and formulas. The other big advantage of this is that you can give these same rules to other users so they can create their own units.
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
Guerrila fighters, or some light infantry, quick to move, siwth some armor and some weapons, with some down and dirty fighting ability.

Kill em all and run away,
to live to fight another day.
How about something like a bike or jeep. They''re fast but lightly armoured and can carry some weapons. (Gotta keep it in proportion, they are only bikes and jeeps after all). Or prehaps one of those dune buggy type things? I think all of these would come under the ''fast and furious fun'' heading, plus they''re relatively small.

- DarkIce
I like Plasmadog''s gunship. Some medium machine guns and rockets, heh...

Are the units customizable? That is, can a player decide that soldier A has weapon X and armor Y, while soldier B has weapon Z and armor W?

And how about some mech brawling... Do they have any melee skills for when two go against each other? Heh.

Chris ''coldacid'' Charabaruk <ccharabaruk@meldstar.com> <http://www.meldstar.com/~ccharabaruk/>
Meldstar Studios <http://www.meldstar.com/> - Creation, cubed.

This message double ROT-13 encrypted for additional security.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement