Internet For Linux

Started by
11 comments, last by Vegadam 22 years, 1 month ago
Hey, I finnaly got linux on my machine, but it turns out, the internet I have, does not support Linux. Aree there any Free Linux Internet Providers out there. I did a search on google, but came up empty handed. Thank you.
Advertisement
What ISP do you use? What service? Lots of people say they don''t support Linux, but it will still work fine.

I use Prodigy for my ISP. I went to their site and asked one of their tech guys. He said that they did not support Linux

Do you normally setup the ISP stuff through Windows? Or does it use a weird interface like AOL? If it''s the former, and you can find me a page that tells us how to setup Prodigy in Windows, we should be able to translate it to a Linux setup version.

Im not sure what it does. I put the cd in that they gave me. It brings up a little GUI, and has me answer a few Questions. After that it gives me the phone # to dial and Im in.

YEAH! I am comeing to you from Mandrake, but I hope i am not calling long distance. Here is what I did, someone tell me if this sounds good. I added a new account on the Internet thing, and told it to Dial the # I needed with Area Code, then I left everything as is, put in my User Name and Pass, and logged on. Sound good?

If it works, then good . Mandrake is meant to be the easy distro, so it''s nice that they came through for you. I don''t have Mandrake (well, I have it on CD, but I don''t use it, I have it for other people), so I can''t tell you how good or bad that method is .

It''s funny how ISP want your money but tell you that they don''t give a s..t about Linux and don''t support it. In Montreal, 2 ISP out of 3 told me they don''t support Linux, because it''s complicate ( it looks like their technical support people treat the customers as complete idiots ).
The only extra info you need from the ISP is, in most cases, the IP adresses of the primary and secondary DNS ( domain name server ).
So, armed with that and the ISP phone number, your login and password you should able to connect to the net.
I use Redhat7.2 and the PPP configurator is relatively easy.
Good luck.
quote:Original post by Biased turkey
It''s funny how ISP want your money but tell you that they don''t give a s..t about Linux and don''t support it. In Montreal, 2 ISP out of 3 told me they don''t support Linux, because it''s complicate ( it looks like their technical support people treat the customers as complete idiots ).
The only extra info you need from the ISP is, in most cases, the IP adresses of the primary and secondary DNS ( domain name server ).
So, armed with that and the ISP phone number, your login and password you should able to connect to the net.
I use Redhat7.2 and the PPP configurator is relatively easy.
Good luck.

Dude, just tell me you''re not using Inter.net ( formely known as TotalNet and I''ll be happy. I worked for their Tech Support, heck, I was the only one that would help Linux users configure even if I wasn''t supposed to do it ).

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote:Original post by Biased turkey
( it looks like their technical support people treat the customers as complete idiots ).

No, it''s just that tech. support people are generally stupid...

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement