Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Linux OpenGL

This topic is 5769 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Your on the Legends dev team? Thats cool, good luck with that
As always, NeHe has linux ports of several of the tutorials, or you could use SDL and have total cross-platform. Torque already has that built in btw, hehe.

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
http://bhp.e-chrono.net/
Resident expert on stuff
max621@barrysworld.com

Yeah, I know what the torque can do, I have it Hopefully we can get it ported.

Anyway, does it make a difference which one I use? I don't really have time to look at it now, and I don't have internet access at school for this computer :So, someone please tell me within the next like...half hour, and please look at Legends. Spread the word, thx.

Legends Development Team

I''m a t2 scripter, very unknown hehe. Maybe I''m just afraid of all the true vets on the TW forums lol. Man, those forums are a bunch of fun to read.

btw Hobb, the URL in your sig is wrong... it has the gamedev url attached to the front.

I don''t think theres any difference. Some may say that SDL (or any wrapper) will be slower then your own code which may be true, just overhead I guess.
I use SDL just for window creation and stuff, because that is different on every platform more then what c/c++ can do.

Oh and I played T1, and still like T2 (yes, shocking?

Black Hole Productions
Resident expert on stuff
max621@barrysworld.com

Thanks, I fixed the sig link now, so please, click on it

BTW, T1 > T2, imo

But, I tried the Linux/GLX version, and it didn''t compile. It said something about not finding a function inside of libvga.so.1. Do I need to update this or something?

Legends Development Team

quote:
Original post by Hobbiticus
But, I tried the Linux/GLX version, and it didn''t compile. It said something about not finding a function inside of libvga.so.1. Do I need to update this or something?

Maybe. It compiles fine for me. Do you have all of the libraries that it tries to link? If not, then try getting them. If so, then try upgrading.

I''m just a sucker for the shrike

If its not finding the functions inside that dll, then it must mean its old, lol

Black Hole Productions
Resident expert on stuff
max621@barrysworld.com

try this:

> su (and enter the root password)
> cd /usr/X11R6/lib/ (or wherever the libvga.so.1 file is)
> ln -s libvga.so.1 libvga.so
> ldconfig

Then compile again and cross your fingers

I almost forgot... if that doesn't work, you can undo the above like so (assuming you are logged in as "root" and are in the same directory as the libvga.so file:

> rm -f libvga.so
> exit ( takes you out of superuser mode)

Edited by - glDino on February 21, 2002 12:45:49 AM

pow? Is that the function that computes powers? If so, try linking with the -lm option. That will import the math library (may need to #include <math.h> first). I''m not sure however... I''m a linux newbie too

As far as makefiles, I always used the KDevelop application which automatically generates them. I couldn''t make a linux makefile if my life depended on it

Makefiles are really easy (search for Makefile tutorials, you''ll find some). To add more power to your Makefile you may want to use Autoconf as well. It''s a little harder to use, but it can make your Makefile (and even your code) system independent pretty easily. I''ve never used Automake though.

I was using KDevelop, but I couldn''t find how to create a makefile, although I didn''t search very hard. if i just used "make" to compile/link, then it would give me that error, but KDevelop wouldn''t make it w/o a makefile.

Legends Development Team

KDevelop will make the makefiles for you. When creating a new project, it should genereate the makefiles, random shell scripts, and even a few cpp files for you. That''s what I''ve been using in linux programming, since I also have no idea how to make my own makefile... If you''re missing stuff from the math library, I think you just need to go into the project settings (F7), go to the linker options, and click the checkbox for math. Most of the standard libraries have checkboxes, but if you need to specify something out of the ordinary (such as libGL), you will need to put it in the additional libraries box (specifying it as -lGL, for openGL libraries).

I just installed Red Hat Linux 7.2. Everything seems to run fine, but 3D Accelleration. I have a Nvidia Geforce 2 card. 3D Acceleration works fine on my windows xp/98 partitions on my pc, but not on the linux version. The driver that I installed is Nvidia Geforce 2 Generic, is this the right driver? What do I need to do to get 3D Acceleration to work in Red Hat Linux 7.2.

Thanks!
John William Blair

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother''s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

http://members.home.com/chucklez/wtc/index.html

In general, you probably should start a new thread when asking a new question. Anyhow, I''ve found that the geforce drivers that come with X (i.e. the gnu ones) don''t seem to do any hardware acceleration. You should grab the latest linux driver from nvidia. These drivers are not gpl, nor are they open at all, but they do seem to work considerably better than the open source ones. Once you''ve grabbed the driver from nvidia, you will also need their GLX package. It is on the same site, so it should be pretty simple. Once you have them, try searching google for a linux nvidia driver HOWTO. The one that I found walked through the entire thing, and it was very easy to follow. Hope that helps.

Personally for me the NVIDIA installation guide worked like a charm!
I used the tars..
tar -xvzf NVIDIA_GLX_blah and NVIDIA_kernel
then cd NVIDIA_GLX
make install
then cd.. cd NVIDIA_kernel
make install
and it should work
u also need to edit ur xf86config-4 file in two places... but its not as hard as it sounds

Black Hole Productions
Resident expert on stuff
max621@barrysworld.com

No problem

Black Hole Productions
Resident expert on stuff
max621@barrysworld.com