Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OpenGL + BSP reading/rendering

This topic is 5773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m new to this opengl stuff , been messing around with it for 3 days now, and i want to move on to terrain rendering (from a file, not dynamic) What is the best file spec for a beginner to use for reading and then rendering terrain? I''m hoping bsp because there are a tonne of editors out there (which i know how to use), for example qeradiant, which had a bunch of cool plugins which i want to make use of in my game im thinking of making (just for learning purposed really). And for the record, i''m not using msvs6, i''m using C# in msvs7 with the csgl library. Basicly, which file type is the easyest to read? and does anyone have any good tutorials/librarys for the quake3 ibsp file spec. Thanks.

Sorry to tell you, but bsp files are the WORST type for outdoor environments. Your best bet for a simple terrain file is a simple greyscale bitmap. The brightness of a pixel is the vertex's height at that point on the plane. You can load in a 256x256 bitmap and space each height out 32 or so OpenGL units to create a reasonably large terrain. Hope this helps.

Edited by - acw83 on February 19, 2002 10:29:22 PM