Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qatal

Fast collision detection, and making things disappear temporarily

i am using Retained Mode for 3D games and have three big questions: 1) how do i do FAST polygon-level collision detection? i can do sphere and bounding-box but they''re fairly code-intensive for the level/object designer. i tried something in the TYDX7 book using vertex position averages, normals and such, and it ran so slow that i switched over to sphere and my own "walk surface, collision surface" system, which is even more intensive for the level designer than sphere and bounding-box. 2) how do i make things appear and disappear? like in an fps, where you have guns, you only see one at a time. where does the mesh go? i want to avoid having to load and texture it every time its shown or hidden? 3) when making characters, how do i do facial gestures? i saw something using texture animation, but how to?? 4) how do you use bone systems to "bend" mesh joints? does RM have a bones system in the API? if not, point me where, please? Thanx in advance Qatal Adg`cee

Qatal, You seem to be coming at this from a slightly squ-if angle. It might be worth buying a book to give you a better understanding of game data structures and the like. Jim''s book seems to be getting some good feedback at the moment (Programming Role Playing GAmes in DX8 - or something like that). It''s listed in the book section.