Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fast collision detection, and making things disappear temporarily

This topic is 5755 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am using Retained Mode for 3D games and have three big questions: 1) how do i do FAST polygon-level collision detection? i can do sphere and bounding-box but they''re fairly code-intensive for the level/object designer. i tried something in the TYDX7 book using vertex position averages, normals and such, and it ran so slow that i switched over to sphere and my own "walk surface, collision surface" system, which is even more intensive for the level designer than sphere and bounding-box. 2) how do i make things appear and disappear? like in an fps, where you have guns, you only see one at a time. where does the mesh go? i want to avoid having to load and texture it every time its shown or hidden? 3) when making characters, how do i do facial gestures? i saw something using texture animation, but how to?? 4) how do you use bone systems to "bend" mesh joints? does RM have a bones system in the API? if not, point me where, please? Thanx in advance Qatal Adg`cee

Qatal, You seem to be coming at this from a slightly squ-if angle. It might be worth buying a book to give you a better understanding of game data structures and the like. Jim''s book seems to be getting some good feedback at the moment (Programming Role Playing GAmes in DX8 - or something like that). It''s listed in the book section.