Mounting In Linux

Started by
37 comments, last by Vegadam 22 years, 1 month ago
Don''t try to mount audio cds, just run a cd-audio player and it should work (if all you want to do is listen to the music). If you want to rip the music, then run a ripper program, but don''t try to mount the disc. Audio CDs do not contain a filesystem.
Advertisement
When I put an Audio CD in and try to run it with the CDPlayer, this is what it tells me, ive tried this before
CDROM Read Or Access Error (or no audio disc in drive) Please make sure you have access permissons to /dev/cdrom
IIRC you said you have no /dev/cdrom, and the CD player is looking for it. So as root, type:

ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

And it should be fine. All this does is create s "soft link" (or symbolic link) named "cdrom" in /dev, pointing to hdc in /dev.

Do I have to do this every time?

Ok, I still got the same error that says I dont have permision or whatever.

Now I have even bigger problems. Now my CDROM wont read any kind of CD on either OS!?!?!?!?!?!????
Not a problem with linux then...

As for your previous question: no, you don''t have to do it everytime. That created a symbolic link (sort of like a ''shortcut'' in windows, but much more verstatile).
/me sighs

o...m...g

Okay, Audio CDs do not need to be mounted. mount is an attempt to make sense of the data on a disk via a filesystem. ever hear of fat32? or ext2? those are file systems. they are different methods of storing data on disk.

Now, to play an audio CD. Start an audio CD player. Try playing it. IF YOU GET AN ERROR:

1. open up an console
2. su to root
3. ''ls -al /dev/cdrom'' it should show what it points to like this: ''/dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc''
3b. if its NOT a /dev/hd* try ls -al whatever it points to until its not pointing to anything anymore
4. ''chmod 744 /dev/hdc'' assuming /dev/hdc is what it pointed to

If you still get an error, follow 1 & 2 above and:
3. ''chmod 766 /dev/dsp*''

Now you SHOULD be able to play an audio CD...
----
Data CDs...
assuming your fstab looks like it did when you jsut posted it...

1 & 2. above
3. type this ''mount /mnt/cdrom'' it should work
4. ''cd /mnt/cdrom/''

tadaa
----
.EXE files are for WINDOWS not linux tehy are different OS''s you know
Vegadam said:
quote:When I typed ls -l /dev/cdrom it said: lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 16 Feb 21 14:33 (in red Bgcolor it said) /dev/cdrom -> ../cdroms/cdrom0
does the lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root have something to do with permisions that could be fucking this thing up?
Typically, red background in the output of ls means that it is a broken symlink. In other words, it''s not pointing to anything.

I can''t imagine what would make a device point to /cdroms/cdrom0, which is extremely likely to not be any kind of device at all. Just to check, type:

cd /
ls | grep cdroms

if there''s nothing, then you know the symlink''s broken. If there''s something, type:
cd cdroms
ls | grep cdrom0

if there''s nothing, then the file referenced by the symlink does not exist, which means that the symlink that points to it is broken.

I think you want to be pretty sure that the link is broken before doing so, but, as root, typing:
rm /dev/cdrom
ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

should replace the broken symlink with a working one that points to your cdrom drive. Of course, if you''re still having the more serious problems that you mentioned, it probably won''t help.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement