Mounting In Linux

Started by
37 comments, last by Vegadam 22 years, 1 month ago
Do I have to be in root to mount something on linux. I tried mounting my flopy /dev/fd0 but it wont take.
Advertisement
Put a line something like this in /etc/fstab:/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user,rw,defaults 0 0. I think I did that correctly, but I didn''t check, so it may be a little off.

Nope, that didnt work.

How are you trying to mount the drive? And what does it say when you try to do it?
It would help if you said why it didn''t work. A derivative of that certainly works for me for all of my hard drives and partitions. The part with "user" enables other users to mount and unmount the drive. The part with "/mnt/floppy" must be changed to where your floppy drive mounts. You must have a floppy drive in there obviously.

Type ''man mount'' and it''ll give you an example of how to edit your /etc/fstab file to allow any users to mount drives. Let''s say you want your CD drive to mount to /cdrom. Once you correctly edit the fstab file, you''d say ''mount /cdrom'' to mount it.

rm -rf /bin/laden
Ok, when I try and mount the path my CDROM is at this is what it says, mount /dev/hdc I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified. What should I do?

Try to specify the file system (iso9660). Also, consider installing the ''man'' package, where you could see, in mount(8):

Thus, given a line
/dev/cdrom /cd iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide
any user can mount the iso9660 file system found on his
CDROM using the command
mount /dev/cdrom
or
mount /cd

I don''t want to sound harsh but I fail to understand how most of the topics here pertain to game development on unix.

Hope this helps anyway.
I am sorry, I know I am takeing up space on the MB, but, how can I develop if I cant run the CDROM. This is where it is, /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0 Then I tried to mount it in my User acount, and it said I needed to be in root. So I went to root, and mounted it, but it still dosnt work.
Ounce again, I am sorry for takeing up space on the MB.

quote:Original post by Vegadam
So I went to root, and mounted it, but it still dosnt work.

What do you mean? You have got to be specific . Did it not mount? Did it give you an error message? If so, what was it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement