diablo 2 or ultima 9

Started by
9 comments, last by hello_there 22 years, 1 month ago
should i make a game like diablo 2 or a game like ultima 9? also anyone know a good site i can get some models of to use in my programme.
____________________________________________________________How could hell be worse?
Advertisement
Ultima 9!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
It all depends. What kind of games have you made before? What kind of experience do you have? It''s just that soo many people come on this board thinking they''re going to make the next Diable killer or Quake 3 killer, etc., but they don''t really understand the complexity of making a game like that.

Of course, if you do have that kind of programming knowledge, then just make the game you would want to play. Don''t worry about what other people think. If you''re excited about making a certain game, then go for it.
Ultima 7!
if i had to choose?
Diablo 2.
Ultima 9 is pants
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
black_mage_s: How is Ultima 9 "pants"? The game has a beautiful interactive world that (for a game released in 1999) is the most detailed RPG game world to date. Show me a later game that is as interactive. The dialog can be somewhat cheesy, but you can turn off the voice-overs if you wish. The game is completely explorable (mostly by foot), and it''s fun to come across pirate treasure or an orc camp or some useless thing in the wilderness (like the mad mage who created the Levitate spell), just because it fits there.

Compare to Diablo II ... you really can''t. Diablo is an action game, not a RPG.

hello_there: What are you trying to accomplish? If you want to create a RPG engine, then you can certainly create something 2D/isometric like Ultima Online / Diablo, or you might create something like U9. The key though is to create an interactive world that makes the player believe he/she is part of the world, and is able to make changes in it (permanent or otherwise). Add lots of "stuff", you''ll see happy players!

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.cjb.net

quote:Original post by MatrixCubed
How is Ultima 9 "pants"?

Pants stability, pants storyline. U9 and U8 are embarrassments to the Ultima series. IMHO

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
really? I thought that U8 was utterly fantastic for its time.

Though people complain about how unwieldly the magic system was, I am willing to argue that it wasn''t supposed to be an action/battle game, it''s a vary pleasant, intriguing, adventure.

Though I concede that as far as technology and ''fun'' go, Diablo 2 has U8&9 beat, this is simply because Diablo is an action game, it is totally lacking in underlying substance, the only real progression is low-level character development (statistics and items).

I play Diablo 2, but it isn''t an RPG, so for Role-Playing Game purposes, go with U9.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Kylotan: I had been playing the Ultima series since IV, and I would wholeheartedly disagree that it has either a poor storyline or a poor game engine.

Perhaps your statement is due to the fact that Origin pulled away from the normal method of RPG, and did something that no one else did? Keep in mind that Garriot wanted to attract roleplayers to the game, not Quakers. If you check out any of his statements or interviews, you''ll see similar ones to Warren Spector''s: that living, breathing worlds are paramount in RPGs.

Granted, both games did have their share of problems (I am the first to admit swearing profusely under my breath after losing efforts to an uncooperative random-application-exit), but comparing that to the overall quality of the package? I''m not saying "overlook the faults and only look at the pros", but rather "look at the bigger picture of how differently the developers attempted to present their game world".

As for any voice-over storyline, there will always be disappointment. The only game I ever saw that held the title of "quality voice-over acting" is Lands of Lore (the one with Patrick Stewart as the King). But even then, it took Westwood Studios'' hiring of a reknowned Shakespearean actor to improve its quality. (The other voices in the game were of fair quality too, but it seems anything Stewart does is pure gold).

Anyway, it seems my fierce defense of Ultima IX has lengthened this thread perhaps more than what hello_there intended.

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.cjb.net

You could argue that U8 was a great game (I don''t share this opinion), but it''s a very poor Ultima. Compared to 7, the storyline is shallow and linear, and the gameplay is very difficult for the genre(even after the infamous patch was issued). The beginning of the end...

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement