diablo 2 or ultima 9

Started by
3 comments, last by hello_there 22 years, 2 months ago
should i make a game like diablo 2 or a game like ultima 9? also anyone know a good site i can get some models of to use in my programme.
____________________________________________________________How could hell be worse?
Advertisement
While I loved Ultima 9, whoever programmed the world interaction code should change careers (including everything from collision detection to animation handling). Even AO has better interaction.

My point being, I hope you meant what style of game.

I think Ultima9 had a cool idea for the world interaction
though. I always enjoyed walking through it villages and into its castles. I especially enjoyed watching the Z-buffer cause rain and clouds inside Britania castle.
The clouds were especially weird.

I liked that game, to bad it never worked right for me. I got the basic point though, but whoever designed it *cough* Garriot *cough* was dumb.

Whose idea was it to use Glide?
Ugh.

-AfroFire
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
Im pretty sure that when they started programming this game, Glide was doing much better then Direct3d so they used that. Not much of an excuse, but from interviews ive read about it, they probably would have liked to design the game around direct3d, but they just made a mistake in thinking that glide was going to be around..

I thought the game kinda sucked, mainly becuase of the performance issues.. BUT, It is the only time that I have bought a game, its been bad, and the company sends me an updated disk with all the patches on it, ALONG with a free UO account. That right there put my respect level of origin much higher then before.

The idea was good, the game ''looks'' great, just runs real slow, etc..

Ultima 9 was a great idea that was way ahead of its time and unfortunately, very poorly executed. However, I think that the state of 3d hardware has advanced to the point where you could actually make an immersive iteractive 3D Britannia that is equivalent in features to the 2d world of Ultima 7 (i.e. same number of people, people have schedules, interactivity with world objects, etc.). Of course technical issues aside, they also screwed up the story line (which is much easier to fix). The original story line was much better, with civil war, insane lord british, and the destruction of the entire planet of Britannia at the end.

Nevertheless, parts of the game were very good, and walking around the countryside and finding all the little hidden quests and easter eggs managed to recapture some of the joy of discovery and exploration from earlier ultimas. I also thought the designers did a good job of differentiating the towns and giving them each a unique personality (too bad they didn''t spend as much time on the dungeons).

But seriously, either diablo or Ultima would be a huge project. Level design and artwork alone would take an enormous amount of time, excluding programming, so its probably not something you want to attempt alone. Check out this Ultima 9 like remake of Ultima 1: http://www.peroxide.dk/ultima/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement