Rpg : Tile-based engine

Started by
16 comments, last by Maduray 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi , im a very very very very bad programmer , im worst than a newbie who has never programed of his life. But i''d like to work on a role-playing game, like the snes one (Final Fantasy, ... ). Can someone with some experience in those kind of game ( That means everybody give me some hint about the graphic engine I should use ? I know it must be tile-based, but Can somebody give me more precisions ? PLEASE (^_^) Thanks Maduray, ** The worst newbie with the greatest dreams ** **Can anyone beat my record of 40504654680 errors ?**
-----** (^_^) **-----
Advertisement
and how are you going to complete the game? Mr. worst prog.
even if you have an engine, there is still the game code itself.

(: I am what I am, more or less
I am what I am, more or less :)and my site rockswww.geocities.com/roam_fireI think
Ah ! you got me right where it counts ! well , you are so right ! What I am going to do ? I don''t have anyone with me on this project, no graphics, no experience , no nothing ... I think I''m gonna first do somthing little like a pong or something, you don''t think so ?

Maduray

----** Extra newbie who learned his lessonbut still wana start big because he is dumb **----

-----** (^_^) **-----
-----** (^_^) **-----
I recommend you buy these books to read..

1.''Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX'' book to research RPG componet.(have sample engine)
2.''Isometric Game Programming with DirectX'' book to research Tile Engine.(have sample engine)

ok thanks for the tip

I''m gooooing to the bookstore right awayyy!

Maduray
-------** Newbie powaaaaaaaa !! **---------

-----** (^_^) **-----
-----** (^_^) **-----
Remember that you have to be at least a competent programmer to understand those books. Good knowledge of C++ is a must otherwise they won''t do you any good.

Well thanks for informing me. I have a basic understanding of C++ and its OOP features but i''m still having troubles with some confusing topics such as pointers ..etc..etc...
I hope i will gain more experience and finally be able to program a game entirely by myself. (keep dreaming man )

Maduray
--------** A dream is a motivation, motivation is the key to your dreams **--------
-----** (^_^) **-----
Pointers are going to be confusing until you start using them. Do some small excercises just to get a feel for them. Play around, perform an illegal operation or two! I avoided them as much as possible when I learned C. Now that I''m learning C++ I''m really starting to warm up to them. They are really cool, kinda dangerous, and super powerful. Sam''s Teach yourself C++ in 21 Days by Jesse Liberty does a good job of explaining what they are, how they work, and when it''s a good idea to use them.

~ chaosbob
Yeah thanks !
I really appreciate your advices. I''m going to do little by little and try to get used to it slowly. (^_^)

maduray
-----** newbie inside, newbie outside **------
http://www.geocities.com/learning_team/index.html?1014284491875
-----** (^_^) **-----
If you want to make an RPG in the fashion of SNES Final Fantasy and don''t want to learn programming, check out http://rm2k.phantomrpg.com/ for the english translation of a program called RPG Maker 2000, never used it, but the screenshots look like about what you are looking for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement