• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arbz

VC++ + DLLs

This topic is 5990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am not a new c++''er, but i have never programmed with dlls before. could someone tell me the relevence of a DLL, how it works, etc. If there is a tutorial on how to program them, could someone give me a pointer? Also, how do you make EXE files smaller? if you have a 200Mb EXE, it begins to slow down . thanks Arbz ps, i use VC++ 6

Advertisement
If you have a 200 meg exe, you''re doing something wrong.

DLLs do two things:
1) Share code between applications. Let''s say you have a collection of file manipulation functions. You could put that into a DLL and then have several different applications use that.

2) Allow dynamic linking. Actually, that''s what the first DL of DLL means. In Quake2, there is a separate DLL for each type of rendering (software, opengl, glide(?)). At runtime the program can select which one to use.

3) I know, I said only two. The other sorta reason would be dynamic updates. Instead of sending a 200 meg exe to a customer when you fix a bug, you can send just the DLL that contains the code you fixed.

Take care,
Bill

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!