Basics for well-behaved app?

Started by
3 comments, last by Simagery 22 years, 2 months ago
I spent yesterday looking at *alot* of people''s different standard window/DirectX setup code and they all take a slightly different approach. I was wondering if anyone knew of a Microsoft-approved or industry-standard basic Win32/DirectX app? Basically, what all do I need to handle to be a well-behaved full-screen/windowed app using D3D8? I.e., what style of window should I be using? What exactly should I be checking for as far as messages go? What is the *correct* way of handling ALT-TAB? etc... I''ve gotten the impression that the DXSDK has a "basic" Direct3D application, but I''ve not dug it up yet and I''m wondering if it''s a straight-C app or an MFC app (I''m assuming MFC)? Thanks for any info, I''d be happy with some URLs to anyone''s favorite "basic Win32/DirectX app" also...
Advertisement
Maybe you want to take a look at the common files that Mircosoft provides (it''s in the SDK folder somewhere)
"Magic makes the world go round." - Erasmus, Quest For Glory I
Thanks, LonelyTower... I just made the assumption that the common D3D framework would be too closely tied to MFC to be useful... but it looks like it''s not (wel, at least not that I noticed).

That was probably most of the info I needed... FYI for everyone, it''s located in \mssdk\samples\multimedia\common\src\d3dapp.c. Basically, all my questions were answered there.

Though, I''d still like to hear about anyone else''s favorite boilerplate app...
Lets just say if your getting pissed off at your own program your doing it wrong

Some basics apply, allow the user to multitask even though he shouldn''t. an annoying bug with this is when DirectInput keeps going even when the window is out of focus. a message handeler and a global variable fixed this. loosing textures is another problem, so increment a glbal variable everything this happens and thgen check this before drawing something to reload the surfaces

I bet there is no standard, everyone does it their own way, just like DOS!
in the Driving DirectX column on the microsoft DirectX developers site there is an article called "The Simplicfication of DirectX Graphics" or something like that. It goes through the basic stuff you need to do for a fullscreen/windowed app including ALT-TAB gear etc.

hope that helps.
Toby

Gobsmacked - by Toby Murray

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement