Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calculating PVS

This topic is 5775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im thinking off mixing an Octree with PVS. Is this a good idea for an indoor game? Its still a long way off before I will impliment PVS into my engine, but when I do: How does a PVS calculator work and where do I get one. I assume that its to complicated to write one by myself (I have no majors).

AFAIK BSPs are better for indoor and OCTREES are better for outdoor sceenes, however octrees seem to be much easier to implement, right?
Why did you choose octrees?

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!

Chose Octree becaus of just that. They seam easier. And I dont see why they would be much slower? Besides, everyone keeps telling me that BSP (AFAIK = ?) is outdated (atlest as a culling-method).

BSP Trees can do everything octrees can do, in fact it is simple to implement an octree with a BSP tree. The advantage of using an octree explicitly is that you can more generally make simplifying assumptions; BSP trees are a more general case, so it is not as intuitive to make assumptions.

Mike

"The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else." - Frederick Bastiat, The Law

Sure you should use a portal-system, but for the protal-system it doesn''t matter whether the data is from an octree or a BSP.
You could also use octrees for the whole level and link the interior of buildings (or caves,...) as BSPs into the octree. Doesn''t the Tribes2-(Torque)-engine do something like that?!

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!