Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caffeineaddict

WinRar

Hi, i just got winrar and compressed some things, and i noticed a considerable difference in the compression of winrar as opposed to winzip. I was wondering how they got the compression so much better in winrar for some files, i want to write some compression algo that compresses almost as well as this and compresses/decompresses really fast. any help is appreciated.

Different compression algorithms. You can find comparisons for lots of tested products here

If you look at the tables you''ll see that the packed size is inversely proportional to the compression time, probably even exponetially inverse, which is because good compression / fast compression aren''t really compatible.

My personal favourite is bzip2 - you can get source code for it and even a windows dll if you want to use it in your own code.

Yes winrar has a better compression algo as far as size but its a bit slower. If you still want to use it there's a dll, ocx, and source for the unrar dos program on their website.

RarSoft

Edited by - KlePt0 on February 20, 2002 6:57:18 PM

Any stats on whether the decompression is slower? For distributing game files, it would be useful to use a technique that gave better compression at no loss of decompression speed, even if it took longer to compress.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]