Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making a game with little knowlage

This topic is 5779 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to make a game 2d or 3d just by nowing how to program in C++. I went to the For Beginners place and from there to How do I make games? and from there to How Do I Make Games?: A Path to Game Development and i read that but i dont no how to make tetris so i think i missed something in C++ or do i have to learn something else? I am relearning C++ but it will take me a while to do it again I was just wondering if i missed something. Thanks! PsYcHo GaMeRz like us will rule the world!

You have to learn an API such as SDL, Allegro, DirectX, or OpenGL to display the stuff you want on screen. Then you need to know how to load images. And then how to do sound, input, etc.
Oh and if you want to do 3D, thats another story...

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
http://bhp.e-chrono.net/
Resident expert on stuff
max621@barrysworld.com
||--------------------------||

C++ wasn't made to be a game programming language. You have to engineer all the gameplay yourself; You have to be a practical programmer. Having said that, I'd suggest that you learn the Win32 API. You only need to know a little to get started, and since you'll have to learn it to be viable anyway, you might as well. Learn the GDI. Then see if making Tetris (I'd recommend PONG first actually) is a little easier. Never hesitate to ask on the forums or e-mail me if you get stuck.

Later,
ZE.

EDIT: Gaah...my browser lags and the question gets answered right under my nose...

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[if you have a link proposal, email me.]

Edited by - zealouselixir on February 20, 2002 7:58:01 PM