Underwater

Started by
10 comments, last by clrscr 22 years, 1 month ago
Are there any considertaions I would have to take to make an underwater sim that are different from say a space or flight sim? If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
-----------------------------When men speak of the future, the Gods laugh.An apology for the devil: it must be remembered that we have heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)
Advertisement
Sure, here is what I can think of:

Bouant(spl?) Force
Increased "Air" Friction

Thats all I can think of right now
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
Good, I thought it was going to be radically different.

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
-----------------------------When men speak of the future, the Gods laugh.An apology for the devil: it must be remembered that we have heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)
big wave effects, like from underwater in/explosions
How about currents?? They could add an interesting (or irratating) element to the game.
What you see underwater is distorted, since light rays bend in water.

------------
- outRider -
quote:...since light rays bend in water.
Not actually true, light rays bend when they come in and out of water, but not when they just travel inside.

The exception I can think of would be if you''re looking at something, and a nearby explosion causes a compression wave. That wave would have a different refractive index, and so light passing through it would be warped a little. But usually pressure waves don''t travel very far because they are discharged by the water that is vapourized by the following low pressure wave.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
PLay Archimedean Dynasty I would say ^_^
The skybox or however you intend to implement it will be significantly different. There will have to be a sky ''horizon'' like in most games but the closer to the character the ''sky'' is the lighter the color of it, since water will darken the look of the sky that is farther away.

Although if you are talking about submarines, you may only have to worry about this when you surface/dive and the rest of the time it would be too dark.

~Vendayan
"Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. He will surely attempt to disarm you as well"~Vendayan
quote:Original post by Ronin_54
PLay Archimedean Dynasty I would say ^_^

I tried but couldent get it to work.

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement