VC++ and licensing rights

Started by
3 comments, last by romer 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I''m gonna be taking some courses in Windows programming down at the local college, and I was planning on buying Visual C++ (possibly pro edition, havent decided) for the student discount price. I was wondering after I''m done with college and my major if I''d be able to use the student discount version to commercially distribute the programs I make with it. I read somewhere that you can''t with an "Educational" version, but someone told that the Educational version is the Standard version with a few less features. Is that what it''s meant by Educational, or is it all of MS compilers that are sold at student discount prices?
Advertisement
you might want to read the license agreement when you install it?

or check Microsoft''s product page?

this way you have the correct legal information straight from the horse''s mouth and not through the grapevine....

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
The Educational version is sometimes called the Learning addition and its a totally different version as far as licences are concerned. You''ll know if its the educational version cos a message pops up when you compile a program saying that you dont have the licence to distribute it.
Ok, I looked throughout Microsoft''s website, and this time I just found what seems to be a generic copyright. As far as I could tell, it didn''t say I couldn''t commercially distribute programs I make with a student discounted version of their compiler. I also tried looking for something in their academic/educators part of the site, but didn''t find anything really. So I guess it''s safe to assume it''s alright to sell the programs I make with a student discounted version of ms c++ pro? Also, one more question, .NET seems to be heavily web-oriented(just by looking at product specs). Is that true, or is this Microsoft''s way of saying "Hey, this is the new version 7 of our Visual Studio software."
Well the MSVC7 part of it is C/C++ still. It just has the option of adding the .NET framework if you want to. The compiler is also better then MSVC6''s one from my experiences. Thats what i am using at the moment (but only the beta version ). VB.NET and C# however are completly different programing languages.

#define BLOODY_WORK_THIS_TIME;
#define BLOODY_WORK_THIS_TIME;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement