Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Izzit ok using software blitter?

This topic is 5775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am planning to make a simple 2D RTS game running at 800x600 16bit color. I am making the graphic engine for it now. becoz my graphic engine supports alpha blending (which is not supported by any 2D vcard), i decide not to use ddraw page flipping method with hardware blit, becoz i prefer to do alpha blending in system buffer rather than video buffer. so i write my own software blitter. which do all the background redraw,sprites, alpha blending, special effects at the sys offscreen buf, and then i use assembly routine to blit it to primary video buf. so, am i doing the rite thing?? izzit ok using software blitter for 2D games now? the most important is, will software blitting giving smooth gaming experience? my game basic requirement is PMMX 200 with normal vcard (2vram)

Almost everyone has a 3D Accelerator in his system nowadays. I''d go for a 2D API (using transformed vertices) on top of a 3D API and let the hardware handle all the blending stuff.

quote:
Original post by martin76
i am planning to make a simple 2D RTS game running at 800x600 16bit color. I am making the graphic engine for it now.
becoz my graphic engine supports alpha blending (which is not supported by any 2D vcard), i decide not to use ddraw page flipping method with hardware blit, becoz i prefer to do alpha blending in system buffer rather than video buffer. so i write my own software blitter. which do all the background redraw,sprites, alpha blending, special effects at the sys offscreen buf, and then i use assembly routine to blit it to primary video buf. so, am i doing the rite thing?? izzit ok using software blitter for 2D games now? the most important is, will software blitting giving smooth gaming experience?

my game basic requirement is PMMX 200 with normal vcard (2vram)