Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Polymorphism - Delete Object

This topic is 5775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have done something that looks like the following: class Mine{ Mine(); ~Mine(); int IDNumber } class MineTwo:public Mine{ MineTwo(); ~MineTwo(); int SecondIDnumber; } int main(void){ MineTwo *a = new MineTwo; Mine *b = (Mine*)a; delete a; } Ok so in that, I create a Class, Convert the pointer to another type, then run the delete function on that pointer... Does this mean that the "~MineTwo()" function is not called? (my comp seems to not call it) I seem to be having trouble with this. Any other ways to work around this problem? Assume that i do not know what type of class it was to begin with as I am trying to write a dynamic Library... Thanks --Josh

It means that you have undefined behaviour. An attempt to delete a derived class via a pointer to base results in undefined behaviour if the destructor is non-virtual.

You might also like to note that your upcast is redundant. You don''t need to say:

Mine *b = (Mine*)a;

Since MineTwo *IS A* Mine you can implicitly cast a to b.

--
The placement of a donkey''s eyes in its head enables it to see all four feet at all times.

quote:
Original post by SabreMan
It means that you have undefined behaviour. An attempt to delete a derived class via a pointer to base results in undefined behaviour if the destructor is non-virtual.

You might also like to note that your upcast is redundant. You don''t need to say:

Mine *b = (Mine*)a;

Since MineTwo *IS A* Mine you can implicitly cast a to b.

--
The placement of a donkey''s eyes in its head enables it to see all four feet at all times.

Results are defined : destructor of the static type will be used. virtual simply says to use the dynamic type.

I am just being picky

quote:
Original post by Gorg
Results are defined : destructor of the static type will be used. virtual simply says to use the dynamic type.

I am just being picky

You are just being wrong. The C++ Standard states it is undefined behaviour.

first off, if anyone bothered to read the code. you would realize that you are deleting a which is MineTwo anyway. i think you meant to delete b which is of the base class mine.

anyway, the compiler will (assuming those functions are NOT virtual) call the destructor of what the current varible is. ie, you cast to a mine, it calls ~mine(). this can be seen through a simple compile, and is NOT the desired result. unfortunatly the compiler CANNOT be magically and know that you want to call ~minetwo from a mine casted variable. this is why when using polymorphism you use virtual functions.

ANY class that is a base class MUST have a virtual destructor or things wont work as intended. with virtual a deconstructor, ~minetwo() and ~mine() will be called, as they should.

though this was all (well maybe not as elaborated) by steg in the first response.