Dead reckoning

Started by
15 comments, last by Herr_O 22 years, 1 month ago
Timmer functions have different resolutions on win9x and win2k/XP, specificly the timeGetTime() functions have 1 ms resolution on 98, and on win2k/XP can be 10 ms or more. You can set it explicitly on the later. Look on msdn on how too.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

-ddn
Advertisement
GetTickCount() has allways been one of my favorite ways to resolve timer issues.
If GetTickCount() has been your favorite timer, then you could have problems there. The high performance counters (QueryPerformanceCounter) are the only ways to establish cross-platform resolution. WinXP/2000/98/95/ME all have different resolutions to GetTickCount().
Sphet is right, QueryPerformanceCounter() is the only way to
have a decent timing function for Windoze. Working with
Linux you can use gettimeofday() which also has microsecond resolution but thats not the issue here.
QPC is also the slowest one to call...

www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Soo I should replace all of my GetTickCount with QPC?.. Im only using QPC now to determine frametime..

-----------------------------
Sometimes a Guru meditation must be followed by a Vulcan neck grip.

Check: http://www.mvps.org/directx/indexes/game_timing.htm
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement