Dead reckoning

Started by
15 comments, last by Herr_O 22 years, 1 month ago
HI! I've used dead reckoning for my online game and all works fine. Server used win98 and client used win98. But when I installed WinXP on the server the dead reckoning started to become more choppy/jerky than it was before. Then I checked the diffrent speeds on my players (I use netspeeds to calc the DR) and found out that the precision on the floating point values differs from winXP to win98 I tried again to go win98 on both client/server and the dead reckoning was better at once I'll try WinXP on both machines later tonight and hope that it will perform as well as win98-win98 did.. Has anyone else noticed this precision differing on XP-98, am I correct? (I'm talking about 0.000000XXXX changes). Edited by - Herr_O on February 21, 2002 10:00:18 AM Edited by - Herr_O on February 21, 2002 10:00:40 AM

My game DIDN''T run in XP at all, but with Win2k compat mode, it worked without problems. it was also a problem with a precision. When calculating the angle of the shields (which are prerendered and in an array), it sometimes exceeded the limits of the array. This never happened in one year of programming on Win2k, OR win98. Well, I fixed it simply by checking if the value exceeded the array bound, but still it is a flaw in XP somewhere.

Okay, that was slightly off-topic. Anyway, I''m not sure if it affects my network code too. I haven''t tested the game over the internet yet since XP is available... my game is also based on many digits ater the comma, so I will certainly keep this thing in mind for XP users/players!

Regards,
Almar
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Hello

I''ve haven''t tried compability mode yet.. it runs fine on XP anyway (just that precision bugg) but I''ll check it out

I did try using xp on both client and server, and as I expected.. the Dead Reckoning started to work much better.

I''ll will try later again to run the program on three machines, XP(server) XP(client) 98(client)... that''ll be intresting =)

But if I can''t get around the precision bugg then thats no big deal.. The choppy movement are not too big and only happens when diffrent OS are in use, every one is using XP/W2k now a days, right?
It worked better for me also in compability mode argh!, I don''t want to use that.. compability mode is stupid =P shouldn''t be necessary. I whish I could fix it myself as you did but my problem is not coused by arrays. Don''t think it can be solved with a simple "hack"

I like windows alot (NOT) sigh..
What are you saying ?? That if I multiply two floats then the result will come out different in XP vs W95 ?????

I have a hard time believing that...
-------------Ban KalvinB !
noo... I''ve tested that just to be sure and it did not. But I did this:

I use a netspeed to calculate the deadreckoning. This speed I send over the network and multiply it with my frame time to make it go att the same speed for all clients. If the speed is constant, not acc, then the deadreckoning should be pretty exact(no jumps when a new mess is received) but it was not

So I printed out the netspeed on both computers and found out that the speed was diffrent after the dynamics and frametimer was put on it.. That''s funny, couse I use the exact same funcions on both computers, they should have been the same after the calculation.

That''s why I started to wonder about the precision diff (allways thinking the worst, common error ) The whole problem was sorted out though.. it seemed to be a debug error, if I compiled the release version of the app - all went ok (*puh*) And if I used compability mode with the debug exe, that worked fine too (funny?)..

So I learned this: ALLWAYS use release mode if you find a strange bug! argh, spent two days on nothing.. jej!

-----------------------------
Sometimes a Guru meditation must be followed by a Vulcan neck grip.

If you work in debug mode some errors stay hidden until you run it in release mode. And then you have no idea what caused it if you have been in debug mode the last 2 days.
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Yeah, but under VB there''s no release mode =-)

And I compile everything to Native since it takes ages to decrypt the resource data from the IDE. And like I said, in compatibility mode it works flawless, and under XP mode the miscalc occurs. No problems under any other OS...

www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
good advise

-----------------------------
Sometimes a Guru meditation must be followed by a Vulcan neck grip.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement