Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

using C++ and Java together

This topic is 5776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, can anyone give me some directions on how and what is the best way to build an application that uses both C++ and Java? I''m working in a project in which all the graphic part and main loop will be handled in C++, but the internet comunication by a module in Java. All your suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks /\ /__\ C.Z. Hagen I want to play with MetallicA!

It''s quite unusual to do things that way around. Projects I''ve worked on which have intermixed Java and C++ have tended to use Swing for the UI and C++ for the lower level stuff. JNI is an option, but it''s more hassle than it''s worth for what you are doing - i.e. it will be more difficult to go through JNI to use Java''s comms functionality than it will to simply do the comms in C++. One of the easier ways of communicating between the two is through sockets, but if you are using sockets in C++, why not just do the entire comms stuff with C++? Perhaps you can shed more light on why the architecture needs to be this way.

--
The placement of a donkey''s eyes in its head enables it to see all four feet at all times.

quote:
Original post by kvh
He probably intends to use DirectX or OpenGL for game graphics.

That doesn''t explain why he''d want to do the comms in Java.

--
The placement of a donkey''s eyes in its head enables it to see all four feet at all times.

The idea is to port one old Delphi 2.0 game (no directX) made by a friend and me years ago, to VC++ (directX).
But, since he is quite good at Java, I though that that will be usefull to handle the internet communications, server/client stuff while using a C++ UI possbile MFC.
And since I don''t know a bit of Java, I wanted to ask about how to do this task, if feasible.

Or does anyone has some other idea of this this job?

/\
/__\ C.Z. Hagen
I want to play with MetallicA!

sorry I ment in the last post that he is good at java, so I tought we
could make a mutant game of OpenGL or DirectX, and internet communication bia Java.

/\
/__\ C.Z. Hagen
I want to play with MetallicA!

Just a side note - you can access OpenGL through java, via packages like gl4java (can''t remember what the link is...sorry- search for it). NeHe has tutorials for it on his site & Sun used it for their JCanyon example.

I read something about making the DLL''s in Java (I think, it might have been something else though...)
I haven''t ever really had any use for DLL''s (I''m still in my console development stage...), so I wouldn''t know if this is possible (it should...DLL''s are precompiled, aren''t they?)

"I''ve learned something today: It doesn''t matter if you''re white, or if you''re black...the only color that REALLY matters is green"
-Peter Griffin