Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sound format

This topic is 5779 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Any suggestions on what sound format to use in my games/demos. I want to avoid any infringement and realy don''t want to pay $2500US for an mp3 license... Any feedback is appreciated. Also - sound system/library recomendations would be nice. Once again - I need it to be on the cheap. Thanks in advance, Landsknecht

quote:
Original post by Landsknecht
I want to avoid any infringement and realy don''t want to pay $2500US for an mp3 license...

to my knowledge, your only at risk if you use music that you dont have permission to use in the game. theres plently of free to use music about.

quote:

Also - sound system/library recomendations would be nice. Once again - I need it to be on the cheap.

DirectSound - Free.
FMOD - Free

theres more, only two i know/have used before. fmod is very easy to use.

Vorbis (ogg). Better quality than mp3, and 100% royality free. Source, libs and examples are provided. Very nice and easy to use.

www.vorbis.org

About Fmod: nice for freeware titles, but it's license is totally unacceptable for commercial titles, esp. if you want to relicense the engine.

Edited by - Yann L on February 21, 2002 2:51:02 PM

Bezzant - The guys who own the patent on MP3 technology charge a $2500US game license fee to use their technology. That means the encoder or decoder algorythm(sp?).

Yann L - What is wrong with the licensing for FMOD? I was looking at it and it seems reasonable. If you have a slant that I didn''t see, I would realy like to know. I am new to this licensing bit and am not totaly sure what to watch for.

As far as Direct Sound goes, got any ideas or directions to feed it the streams for sound formats other than MIDI or WAV? I know this has been asked to death, but I have not found any satisfactory answers...

Thanks again,
Landsknecht

> What is wrong with the licensing for FMOD?

Well, as I said, for freeware it''s absolutely OK. The general commercial licenses also seem to be rather OK, but the engine reseller license is not. (means, if you developed a 3D engine incl. sound using fmod, and want to license the complete engine to 3rd party developers).

quote:

4. Engine resale Contact Sales

I can''t give any more details, since I guess it''s confidential. In fact, they evaluate the price on a personal base, and it is less expensive to hire a seperate development team to create your own sound engine, than license theirs. Esp. since you won''t have to pay additional royalities on your own engine afterwards.

But if you don''t intend to do that, then I don''t see any problems using fmod. Technically, it''s very good.

quote:
Original post by Landsknecht
Bezzant - The guys who own the patent on MP3 technology charge a $2500US game license fee to use their technology. That means the encoder or decoder algorythm(sp?).

woah! didnt know that, its rather.... harsh. thanks for filling me in

Yeah, harsh is an understatement. As far as I can understand it, the companies bought the patent rights and started headhunting. Kinda like Hasbro. Not sure if this is the exact case though. Either way - they now want realy stupid fees to use the mp3 codec. There is a small blurb about it on the FMOD website.

quote:

Note that FMOD does not include a free license to distribute MP3 in your product. In an agreement with Thompson Multimedia, FMOD is allowed to distribute the mp3 decoder as long as the end user has made the necessary royalty payment to Thompson. More information is at http://www.mp3licensing.com. There is now a ''game license'' which only costs $2500 per title.

Pretty crappy, huh?

Landsknecht

> Yeah, harsh is an understatement. As far as I can understand it, the companies bought the patent rights and started headhunting

Not really. Fraunhofer and Thomson actually invented MP3. The license existed from the beginning on, but nobody cared, and mp3 was widely used in (illegal) products. Then the patent holders began actively tracking down those products.

I don''t think the price is harsh. I actually is a lot less than the original license, that was over $5 million (for the full license) ! They recently introduced this special game license, that is $2500 per title, and droped the price for all general licenses (ie. hardware implementations etc). $2500 per title is nothing. Try to license things like video codecs or similar for your game. Or even a CSS license. It''s a *lot* more than that. And don''t forget, that if you sell less than 5000 copies of your game, you *don''t* have to pay the license. IMO, that''s just fair. And for those not wanting to pay the fee, there is Vorbis. With even better quality and smaller files than mp3, so definitely worth a try.

More infos about mp3 license here

> but using directshow you avoid the mp3 liscence fee since ms paid it for you

Or better: *you* already pay the license fee, when purchasing Win2k/XP... MS never gives you anything for free