Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just a quick question....

This topic is 5775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey folks, I''ve been browsing the forums for a week or two now and I notice that even in this beginner''s forum everyone is talking about things about windows programming, etc. I would like to start from the extreme basics so that I can understand everything completely. Are there any books I can get on basic game programming. Something about programming games in text mode would be the best for me. If you have any suggestions, please reply. Thanks!

First thing to do is learn a language. Then worry about game programming. Some of the most common languages are C/C++, Java, Pascal, BASIC, and Delphi. Then find a good introductory book that will explain all the aspects of that language ( or look on the internet for resources ). One of the more popular books for beginning the C/C++ language is "Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days." From there you should be able to program a basic text-based game.

EDIT: Was a minute too late, didn't read your second post. I would suggest reading Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus because it introduces you to not only Windows and DirectX programming, but the basic game structure as well.

Edited by - Sethius on February 21, 2002 4:20:58 PM

I would try :

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1229.asp

And move on through the series.

The TOTWGPG artices seem to promote a lot of questions on these forums, and for a beginners tutorial this is''nt good. I would expect any such tutorial to answer most questions that could possibly arise.

,Jay