Does anyone know the RAW file format?

Started by
11 comments, last by TeeCee 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi all, can anyone explain the RAW file format to me, in terms of header, bytes per pixel etc. I am trying to extract the data for use in a height map. Thanks, TC
Advertisement
I don''t think the raw format contains any kind of header its just raw pixels
Any idea of the pixel format etc?
Depends on what program made it. A 24 bit raw from psp for example has 24 bits (3 bytes) for each pixel. Red, green and blue. And as JHL said.. no header at all.
;-)
yupp, you even have to know the exact size (height and width) and pixel-format of your raw image to be able to display it.
Actually, that''s why it''s called ''raw''...just a memory-dump, more or less.

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!
Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,today we're a step onward! Don't klick me!!!
I''ve noticed that when I have saved a RAW file using PSP, when I go to re-open the file, PSP doesn''t know the file''s dimensions etc. Is this because it doesn''t have a header?
How can you open the file in its original state, if you can''t remember the size etc?
Or is that the whole point of RAW files - just simple byte streams (its just that they seem to be popular for creating height-map images for terrain)?
This same question came up yesterday
how to load a raw file
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
thanks for the replies guys,
(sorry Vaporisator, I posted my reply at the same time that you were answering my question!)
You got it. I often use raw and create my own headers with it. Make sure you remember the bpp, height and width, or else its worthless.
;-)
Darn. 2 posts made it in before my answer...
;-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement