Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did you know this about Quake 2?

This topic is 5769 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The Source has been released.. I didn''t know this... Note that this isn''t another Quake2 DLL source. This is the full blown client/sever and *3D engine source* for Q2! The one that lets you build the Quake2.exe file! Just thought you peoples would want to know since there are some nifty OpenGL effects in Q2 and you might want to have a look... I don''t even know how many of you know.. but i only just found out today... Anyway.. i''ll let John Carmack say all the hard stuff. """"""" Name: John Carmack Email: johnc@idsoftware.com Description: Programmer Project: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- December 21, 2001 ----------------- The Quake 2 source code is now available for download, licensed under the GPL. ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/quake2.zip As with previous source code releases, the game data remains under the original copyright and license, and cannot be freely distributed. If you create a true total conversion, you can give (or sell) a complete package away, as long as you abide by the GPL source code license. If your projects use the original Quake 2 media, the media must come from a normal, purchased copy of the game. I''m sure I will catch some flack about increased cheating after the source release, but there are plenty of Q2 cheats already out there, so you are already in the position of having to trust the other players to a degree. The problem is really only solvable by relying on the community to police itself, because it is a fundamentally unwinnable technical battle to make a completely cheat proof game of this type. Play with your friends. """""""

We''ve known for 2 months, maybe more.

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

Democracy is where you say what you want and do what you''re told.

well... some of use don''t surf as much as other people..
Anyway is that''s the case than this will fade into the background pretty quickly.. better to make sure you "certainly know" then to "not know" isn''t it?

Lots of people thought this was just the DLL release and waved it off. At least I thought there were

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
http://bhp.e-chrono.net/
Resident expert on stuff
max621@barrysworld.com
||--------------------------||

Just wait for Q3.
Finally! A C++ and OO source code to a game instead of C! ( i'', assuming Q3 was in C++ ).. considering Doom through to Q2 are all in C...

Of course... you can always look at the Sin DLL source which is in C++.. :D

quake 3 source is in c and non oop, just like the other carmack stuff. its his style, i don''t think hes gonnna give it up. plus supposedly it give a performance boost which i tihhnk is just dumb. you can download some quake3 dll files, i dunnno wich ones, prob client.

~EODCyismARDEM

>>I read somewhere john c. decided he would go the c++ route with doom3<<

for doom3 the rendering engine will be c but most of the other stuff will be c++

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:

plus supposedly it give a performance boost which i tihhnk is just dumb

Yes right. I''m sure that you have twice as much programming
experience as John Carmack, released twice as much games, etc.

You are absolutely in the right position to make claims like that. What about thinking before typing ? Just an advice.

I think its more like...
"Okay boys(or gals)... we have winning way of doing stuff here.. so let''s not change it and spend 2 years develpoing a new server/client protocol in C++.. alright?"

"If it aint broke.. don''t fix it..."

"Okay boys(or gals)... we have winning way of doing stuff here.. so let's not change it and spend 2 years develpoing a new server/client protocol in C++.. alright?"

Remember this is JC were talking about. So i think its more like 2 days. =)

-=[ Megahertz ]=-

Edited by - Megahertz on February 24, 2002 7:49:09 AM

quote:

"Okay boys(or gals)... we have winning way of doing stuff here.. so let''s not change it and spend 2 years develpoing a new server/client protocol in C++.. alright?"

Remember this is JC were talking about. So i think its more like 2 days. =)

Yes it''s JC, but it''s also C++ were talking about. If it were C 2 days would be about right, in C++ 2 years sounds good. :D

quote:

plus supposedly it give a performance boost which i tihhnk is just dumb

Doesn''t make much difference when they are both programmed correctly...only a couple of instructions in it...and in many cases C++ provides a neater paradigm - which can lead to smaller & more efficient code (because you can get your head around it more easily)