Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sakky

mouse rollover detection

I know this question might be a little out of hand but here goes. I need a rollover formula for my Game''s menu. Basicly what I mean is when the mouse is in a setain area. Like a detection RECT. so I can then change the color of the font or grahpics. I tried doing this my self and came up with a realy crapy program that didn''t do what I needed. I want to know how I can detet if the mouse is positioned in a RECT struct. This should be simple to figure out but I''m having a little bit of trouble with it. I''v made a called RECT detect;. Then I set its co-ords like this detect.top=0; detect.left=0; detect.bottom=50; detect.right=50; Now how to I test to see weather my 2 varibles int mos_x=(int)LOWORD(lParam); int mos_y=(int)HIWORD(lParam); are with in detect''s co-ords? Can nay body help me with this please?!

I would get the mouse coordinates, then if you dont already id have a struct or class that is for the rect, and in your menu loop have it check whether the mouse coordinates are inside thae rects.

Yeah, I figured it out. I don''t know what I was thinking. I was trying to send a message for changing the test or what ever when the mouse came across the rect I defined. Bad thang though. Now it sends to many messages. I made a little window that I could test stuff with. Mainly this ideas and I called it test. I drew a black rectangle and tested the mouse co-ords. But when its in the rect is that bad thang. Because it keeps sending the message. I made the mistake of having a little messagebox popup when the mouse cursor was in the rect. Saaying "got it". Then when I moved the mouse into the rect ass loads of messageboxes started poping up.. . .LOL Now I have to figure out how to only make it check once if the mouse is in the rect. Then do what evre I want it to. Then I need some sort of method to send a message if the mouse was in the rect but has just left it. So I can set the text back to normal. I need to get something going like java-script so to speak. I''m thinking about making a MENU struct or class. So I can make me oneof those cool looking menus you would see on STARCRAFT or DIABLO. A very graphical one that lets you choose border width and a sertain amount of menuitems. I guess going and looking into some of my windows header files can give me a good jump start and a few ideas on how to make one.