Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alexandre Brien

OpenGL just finished my very first opengl game, looking for feedback

Tried it but it wouldnt run. Gave a message box with this error.

Error Starting Program
A required .DLL file, GLUT32.DLL was not found.

I guess I dont have it set up on my system...

lol thats bad feedback, no problem was kinda expecting it, the glut error is I think because your missing glut from your pc and my program uses it.

Dunno on my pc everything runs fine I get 75 frame per second, I guess my pong game runs shitty on lower end pc there is some serious tweaking to be done, since its only a freaking pong game in 2d =P

Hehe, I think the game is a bit ''problematic'' when vsync is turned off... I get around 850 fps, and the ball is so fast, that the game is over after two seconds...

But if I switch on vsync, everything is OK. I get 120 FPS, the ball animation is very smooth, seems to work fine. I just didn''t have a second human player to test, and playing with two hands is somewhat cumbersome... What about a computer player ?

Good work !

Guest Anonymous Poster
the ball is fast, i got the glut32 error at first but i placed the dlls from sgi on the dir.

if i place those files on my vc++ lib/header dirs(to update) will all opengl progs that are compile work? old and new

stupid quetion but im a real newb

Great Job. Its pretty fun. My only complaint is that the ball moves a little fast, but thats ok. I got 116-117 fps on my Pentium II - 233 mhz.

lol its not really fun =P
I really wonder how your getting 115 fps with a pII 233??!
I have an Athlon 1.4 ghz with geforce2 mx and I''m getting 75 fps lol, ah well...
I guess the ball is moving fast for you cauz of your fast fps

Good game! A bit unplayable, the matches are only 7 seconds long. I get 624 fps with vsync on. I have a P3 500 with a Radeon 32 DDR. Keep on trying.

Alexandre, if you're getting 75 FPS, you have v-sync on and a monitor refresh rate of 75 hz. Turn off v-sync.

Anyway, with v-sync off, I got 370 FPS in Windowed mode and it's hard to determine the framerate in fullscreen because the game ends almost immediately after pressing the spacebar. It usually says between 600 and 1000 but doesn't run long enough for an accurate reading. I'm on a 1GHz PIII with 512mb RAM and a GeForce2 Go. Of course this is just 3 sprites.

~CGameProgrammer( );

Edited by - CGameProgrammer on February 22, 2002 1:45:34 AM

Once i downloaded glut32.dll all worked fine. Had to turn on vertical sync though.. GJ

-----------------------------
Sometimes a Guru meditation must be followed by a Vulcan neck grip.