Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StrategicAlliance

[java] Copy file from JAR

Hey, This has got me stumped for quite a few days now : I have a JAR which contains my application. In this JAR I have included a .JPG which should be copied to a directory the user specifies (when running the application). Now, applets have getCodeBase() to obtain the location from which they are running but applications have not. So provided that I don''t know at what location in the filesystem my JAR is running, how can I obtain the path of the .JPG which is in my JAR? Simply
 File f = new File("x.jpg")  
doesn''t work. It''s probably some kind of method I keep looking over, but I''d appreciate it if someone could show me. Thanks! ****************************** StrategicAlliance On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes God. On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes obsolete... ******************************

Your code looks for the image in the current directory, but it can only be found by following the classpath since it is located inside a JAR. I think the getResourceAsStream() or getSystemResourceAsStream() methods in java.lang.ClassLoader will let you read the raw bytes of the image in order to copy it.

Edited by - HenryApe on February 22, 2002 4:20:48 AM

Example:

String name1 = "com/operecitato/gkw/utils/image/fighter.tga";
URL urlfighter = null;
urlfighter = PrimReader.class.getClassLoader().getResource(name1);

With URL you can do just about anything, like getting the full path name for a file object.

E-
Forgot to mention that PrimReader is another class in the same jar as fighter.tga. You should find a class in the same jar and use that class in place of PrimReader. I don't know if that is actually necessary but you can experiment.
-E

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato

Edited by - GKW on February 22, 2002 2:40:47 PM