Game graphics questions ...

Started by
3 comments, last by chaosbob 22 years, 1 month ago
When doing the graphics for an iso/hex game, where do you start? I have two game ideas in my mind that I plan to start working on. One is a iso/hex game and the other a 2D networked space shooter (think networked asteroids, kinda). Anyways, when starting on your graphics, be it a person, land tile, user interface or a spaceship, do you start with hand drawn graphics and then go over them in a paint program (I use CorelSuite 9)? Do you start with scalable vector graphics in a drawing program and then convert them to bitmaps in a paint program? Or do you just start drawing pixels on the screen and see what you get? Another option i've considered is making 3D models and posing them and then rendering to bitmap, but I dont think i'd want to do that for a small person image. I'm having a hard time finding a starting point. Thanks, ~ChaosBob Edited by - chaosbob on February 22, 2002 3:49:06 AM
Advertisement
This may not be the answer yer looking for, but...

I would say: Start simple.

It''s the gameplay that makes the game, not the graphics. So if you gonna make a ISO/HEX game, just use a green ISO/HEX for the grass, don''t go too much into the details.

You will have plenty of time to improve yer graphics, when yer stuck at programming. Just fire up a graph program, start working on graphics. In the mean time, you can come up with ideas to solve yer programming problem.
I usually get the best results by drawing the design by hand on paper, firing up a paint program, and plotting those pixels so they match whats on the paper. Its a lot harder to get a sense of appropriate scale and style when you start out directly on the computer (at least for me).
quote:Original post by jermz
I usually get the best results by drawing the design by hand on paper, firing up a paint program, and plotting those pixels so they match whats on the paper.

That''s what i''m also doing. At least for more advanced graphics. (characters or something like that...)

If you have a scanner and a graphics-tool that supports layers (like psp or photoshop) you can scan your drawings and make a half transparent layer of it. On a different layer you redraw your sketch. When you''re content you delete the sketch layer and save your gfx... works pretty well for me.
Completly lost on the subject on Graphics as well....

How to do them?
The code to load them in?
How to say which bit of animation(frame) to load at what time.
The back ground colour.
How the computer tells the difference between each graphic frame i.e. which is frame 1 , 2 ,3 or 4...

Everything really!!

Can anybody help

Thanks Brian

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement