Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Failed to lock Index Buffer

This topic is 5775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve created a dynamic Index buffer using this code : hresult=m_pd3dDevice->CreateIndexBuffer( IDXBUFF_RAZTERSIZE*sizeofWORD), D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC|D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, D3DFMT_INDEX16, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT,&ppIBuff); but when I try to lock and fill the index buffer it fail as it won''t return the pointer. This is the code that I used : if(FAILED(ppIBuff->Lock(0,0,(byte**)pindices,D3DLOCK_DISCARD)) return E_FAIL Why ??

The Lock function expects a pointer to a pointer (you''ve simply casted this away because it didn''t work at first, right? )

Try:

if(FAILED(ppIBuff->Lock(0,0,(byte**) &pindices,D3DLOCK_DISCARD))
return E_FAIL

quote:
Original post by yanuart
I''ve created a dynamic Index buffer using this code :
hresult=m_pd3dDevice->CreateIndexBuffer(
IDXBUFF_RAZTERSIZE*sizeofWORD),
D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC|D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY,
D3DFMT_INDEX16,
D3DPOOL_DEFAULT,&ppIBuff);
but when I try to lock and fill the index buffer it fail as it won''t return the pointer. This is the code that I used :
if(FAILED(ppIBuff->Lock(0,0,(byte**)pindices,D3DLOCK_DISCARD))
return E_FAIL
Why ??

It still won''t work
it gets this exception err from Direct3D :
Direct3D8: (ERROR) :Bad parameter passed for ppbData for creating a index buffer

hmm.. i''ve tried before on making an index buffer but never a dynamic index buffer. Do you think there''s an error on my code to create one ?? those flags are still a big question to me..

ps : pindices are a void pointer;

Again CreateIndexBuffer expects a pointer to a pointer as last argument which is the returned index buffer interface pointer.
Looks like you should familiarize yourself with pointers before dealing with the complicated stuff

IDirect3DIndexBuffer8 *pIBuff;

hresult=m_pd3dDevice->CreateIndexBuffer(
IDXBUFF_RAZTERSIZE*sizeofWORD), D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC|D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, D3DFMT_INDEX16, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT,&pIBuff);

quote:
Original post by yanuart
It still won''t work
it gets this exception err from Direct3D :
Direct3D8: (ERROR) :Bad parameter passed for ppbData for creating a index buffer

hmm.. i''ve tried before on making an index buffer but never a dynamic index buffer. Do you think there''s an error on my code to create one ?? those flags are still a big question to me..

ps : pindices are a void pointer;