Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yanuart

Failed to lock Index Buffer

I''ve created a dynamic Index buffer using this code : hresult=m_pd3dDevice->CreateIndexBuffer( IDXBUFF_RAZTERSIZE*sizeofWORD), D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC|D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, D3DFMT_INDEX16, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT,&ppIBuff); but when I try to lock and fill the index buffer it fail as it won''t return the pointer. This is the code that I used : if(FAILED(ppIBuff->Lock(0,0,(byte**)pindices,D3DLOCK_DISCARD)) return E_FAIL Why ??

The Lock function expects a pointer to a pointer (you''ve simply casted this away because it didn''t work at first, right? )

Try:

if(FAILED(ppIBuff->Lock(0,0,(byte**) &pindices,D3DLOCK_DISCARD))
return E_FAIL

quote:
Original post by yanuart
I''ve created a dynamic Index buffer using this code :
hresult=m_pd3dDevice->CreateIndexBuffer(
IDXBUFF_RAZTERSIZE*sizeofWORD),
D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC|D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY,
D3DFMT_INDEX16,
D3DPOOL_DEFAULT,&ppIBuff);
but when I try to lock and fill the index buffer it fail as it won''t return the pointer. This is the code that I used :
if(FAILED(ppIBuff->Lock(0,0,(byte**)pindices,D3DLOCK_DISCARD))
return E_FAIL
Why ??

It still won''t work
it gets this exception err from Direct3D :
Direct3D8: (ERROR) :Bad parameter passed for ppbData for creating a index buffer

hmm.. i''ve tried before on making an index buffer but never a dynamic index buffer. Do you think there''s an error on my code to create one ?? those flags are still a big question to me..

ps : pindices are a void pointer;

Again CreateIndexBuffer expects a pointer to a pointer as last argument which is the returned index buffer interface pointer.
Looks like you should familiarize yourself with pointers before dealing with the complicated stuff

IDirect3DIndexBuffer8 *pIBuff;

hresult=m_pd3dDevice->CreateIndexBuffer(
IDXBUFF_RAZTERSIZE*sizeofWORD), D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC|D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, D3DFMT_INDEX16, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT,&pIBuff);

quote:
Original post by yanuart
It still won''t work
it gets this exception err from Direct3D :
Direct3D8: (ERROR) :Bad parameter passed for ppbData for creating a index buffer

hmm.. i''ve tried before on making an index buffer but never a dynamic index buffer. Do you think there''s an error on my code to create one ?? those flags are still a big question to me..

ps : pindices are a void pointer;