Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For loop initilization problem

This topic is 5773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have an array which is initilized right away: - //Block array for displaying blocks on screen in row/column order UCHAR blockgrid[NUM_BLOCK_ROWS][NUM_BLOCK_COLUMNS] = { {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}, {2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2}, {3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3}, {4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4}, {5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5}, {6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6} }; It does what it is supposed to, draw lines of seperate blocks to the surface, this is a breakout clone just so you get an idea of what I''m trying to do. What I need to do now however because of a problem I''ve encountered and because I want to know how to is to initilize this using a FOR loop. So far I have: - void Init_Blocks(void) { for (int row=0; row < NUM_BLOCK_ROWS; row++) { for (int col=0; col < NUM_BLOCK_COLUMNS; col++) { blockgrid[row][col] = 1; } } } Which fills the columns and row with only one color of block. I have then tried changing this to have it put one line of blue blocks and then one line of yellow blocks etc... However after a day of fiddling and swapping and changing the best I can come up with is to have one line of yellow, one line of blue and then one block colored blue on the third line. Plus to boot I think I''m doing it a lame way: - // Initiliaze the blocks - used instead of an array for example void Init_Blocks(void) { for (int col=0; col < NUM_BLOCK_COLUMNS { blockgrid[row][col] = 1; col++; int row=0; blockgrid[row][col] = 2; row++; blockgrid[row][col] = 2; } } 1 represents a blue block 2 a yellow and so forth. Can someone please tell me what I''m doing wrong here. Cheers, Pk

Is this what u want?

for(row = 0; row < NUM_BLOCK_ROW; row++)
for(col = 0; col < NUM_BLOCK_COL; col++)
blockgrid[row][col] = row;

Edited by - DerekSaw on February 22, 2002 7:39:52 AM

Erm... Yes, I had just sussed it out about a minute earlier, although I went for a slightly different approach LOL.

Initiliaze the blocks - used instead of an array for example
void Init_Blocks(void)
{
for (int col=0; col < NUM_BLOCK_COLUMNS; col++)
{
blockgrid[row][col] = 1;
}

int row = 0;
row ++;

for (col=0; col < NUM_BLOCK_COLUMNS; col++)
{
blockgrid[row][col] = 2;
}

row ++;

{
blockgrid[row][col] = 3;
}

row ++;

{
blockgrid[row][col] = 4;
}

row ++;

{
blockgrid[row][col] = 5;
}

row ++;

{
blockgrid[row][col] = 6;
}
}

I can''t believe in the end it was that simple (your code). Well chalk it up to another learning experience

Thanks